My new turntable

All general audio posts go here.
Neilardo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My new turntable

Unread post by Neilardo »

It's a Sony PS-X70.
It's DD. It's automatic. It's still in transit.
I guess I'm looking for advice on the cartridge. The currant owner informs me that it has a Goldring G-820 SUPER E which uses a Goldring D130SE stylus. I am awaiting info on the age and use of the stylus. I understand it was well received in its time (late 70s) but given its age I wonder whether it's going to be a keeper, given that a cursory search of the internet shows a complete dearth of replacement stylii. My only currently available alternative is a Rega Elys 2.
No particular rush, like I say still in transit (monday 3rd), and I ain't going to make any more outlay until I at least know what I've got to be working with. I'm just a tiny bit concerned that I'm going to be underwhelmed with my new purchase if the cartridge is duff.
That is assuming the damned thing is working at all when it arrives. :pray:
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Daniel Quinn

Re: My new turntable

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If you search the model on vinyl engine you will see many owners are very pleased with it and have tried it with most common MM and moving coils

for instance this thread http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_fo ... hp?t=41653.

You will need to ensure there is enough gain between cartridge and phono amp for your liking .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I don't think Goldring make new styli for this any more, but they do an excellent (apparently) re-tip service that's a lot quicker than ESCo and not silly money. I used to like the 900SE and up in that range (IGCetc..) and it wouldn't surprise me at all if the long lived 10** series cartridges they make are re-mounted 900 mechanicals.

Just a thought, depending on budget available...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Neilardo

Thanks for the responses guys.
That's a very useful thread DQ, I'd seen the stuff on thevintageknob which is quite reassuring, but hadn't come across the vinyl engine forum. cheers :guiness;
DSJR thanks for the tip. In response to a query about the age of the stylus the seller replied that they couldn't remember how old the stylus was but that replacements were available on line. Hmmmm, evasive? BTW what's ESCo?
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have owned that arm on its own in the past, it is a good one, and I would put a Denon 103 on it if MC or one of the latest series of Grados (solved a lot of the hum problems they had) the best one you can afford for MM, though in reality they are MI (moving iron).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

ESCo are an amazing outfit, but worked off their feet these days with a lengthy waiting list. I'm told they supply a range of styli for popular Shures and of course, they made the later A&R P77 styli (PN7) for A&R/Arcam and still have them I believe.

Goldring came to my attention as cartridge rebuilders/re-tippers as I think Linn used them for some years and I believe they make the Adikt cartridge, which has doubled in price (why?) in recent years.

The original Grado Black to Gold models were dull, dull, dull, but many people loved them (my 1970's F1+ eats a Gold IMO). There is a revised range now in the US at any rate (Black One to Gold One) and these offer shorter cantilevers (less wobble on warps?) and revised coil windings. Maybe there's some brio added as well :lol:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Neilardo

Should be arriving today (tues 04) :pray: :dance:
The DL-103 is, I know, one of your favourites Doc. However it also gets very strongly promoted elsewhere by users of this table and arm, so it may well become my ambition. My current phono stage is MM and elsewhere I think Gromit recommends the DL-110 which is HOMC I think.
I've checked out the Goldring re-tipping service (google), it's £75 diagnostics plus any work carried out.
I was quite excited when this Sony XL-55 came up on e-bay literally within the hour of my t/t purchase, however it appears to be very much in demand (£260 with 6 days still to go at time of writing)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

The DL103 is something of a bargain still and probably better then ever because of modern computerised assembly techniques. Can't believe how the price has stayed relatively stable, where others that cost the same have nearly tripled in price in the meantime :(

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Different arm/turntable. But I'm happy with my 103.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Neilardo

Just arrived - Damaged. :angry-steamingears: AAaaargh :angry-screaming: TNTExpress
Will post more when I've taken some photos & assessed condition and extent of damage :cry: