Records are back - it is official.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Records are back - it is official.

Unread post by kimangelis »

Well yes and no. An interview this morning on Radio4's Today programme suggested most buyers just hang the sleeve on the wall....

Sales of vinyl records in the UK this year have passed the 1 million mark for the first time since 1996, a resurgence even those who love the format are finding quite hard to believe. But what's behind it? Some say it's a movement against streaming, where people don't ever own their music. The more cynical view is that vinyl records are just a fashion statement, and that lots of new buyers don't even bother to listen to them at all. Either way, the Official Chart Company has told the BBC it will soon launch an official vinyl chart. Dave Lee is the BBC’s technology reporter.

The vinyl can then be used to make a nice flower-pot. Instructions below....

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_7690364_make- ... -vase.html
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I don't seriously believe most people hang the sleeve on the wall but a fair proportion may be buying for the included CD or digital download that comes with many titles. I think there is a fair proportion of people who never ditched the vinyl LP and have acceptable legacy playback systems. Sales of cheaper hi-fi tables like project and Rega RP1 are up vastly in sales. I doubt the market for the more expensive audiophile decks has increased so much. Problem is the people that either buy for the sleeve or use a cheap and nasty deck will soon loose interest.

Perhaps they will do what many of my generation did 40 years ago and discover that to appreciate the better sound of vinyl you need decent playback equipment. All those newbies or hipsters out there are probably destroying their expensive new discs due to ignorance of proper arm and cartridge set up. There are hardly that many sellers of TTs prepared or having the knowledge to educate their customers. I'm also fed up with mention of the 'warm sound of vinyl'. The warm sound is crappy record decks not what is cut into the grooves.

One good sign is that some people at major record companies are recognising the value of going back to the original analogue source. Apple/Universal (under new regime) have done a great job on this year's Beatles releases. These are surely aimed at proper 'audiophiles' rather than hipsters.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm glad people haven't forgotten the tactile feel of an LP record and its sleeve and the whole 'procedure' in playing it.

[edit]
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Provocative statements remain provocative statements , irrespective of if you classify them as a rant and apologise ;)

seems to me having read AOS for the past 4 years you have done most of your vinyl listening with a godamawful rega carbon cartridge . No wonder you think sterile clinical digital music is better :lol:

You are of course wrong and i make no apologies for saying so . :guiness;

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Everything today is so subjective that 'reality' goes out the window! Before condemning me (the Carbon is one of a couple of dozen cartridges by the way), try to get a listen while a record is being cut. Compare an acetate to the original master and then both to the vinyl end product!

[edited]
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Dave there is enough of your life on forums for me to know about your past and experience ;)

I of course speak as always from my own perspective , i listen to 70's rock music and not much beyond 1984. I refuse to listen to music without lyrics unless it is a genesis instrumental. I have compared genesis on vinyl and on cd [ some good phillips based cd players , i even swapped phillips chips in cd players and noticed a difference though that was back in 1992 ] but i have never heard a genesis cd sound better than a vinyl .

i last did this about 5 months ago were i compared Lloyd Cole rattlesnakes on cd and vinyl , remote control amp and cd player allowed instant switching and
listening to the two the cd had better bass and was probably a little more dynamic but i didnt like it . I wish i did , have you seem the price of cd's these days , you can get five for a fiver :o

I even gave it the Baby DQ test . Sit him on my knee and play music and watch him bounce up and down . This must be some kind of instinct thing , if we put the coffee grinder or hairdryer on he cries till it stops , if we put music on he bounces up and down, the more he likes it the more he bounces . his bouncing was distinctly poorer on cd ;) Although there are parts of the lamb lies down on broadway that make him cry :lol:

I have no desire to investigate computer audio , beyond using spotify for outside and in my kitchen .

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

It's a myth that deep bass has to be all but removed from vinyl. The lp version of Suzanne Vega's Solitude standing has plenty of content from 20 to 40 hz.

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... start=1850

applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

As far as I'm concerned Vinyl never went anywhere I was able to buy loads of old vinyl from Cd converts and now some of those very same people have asked just what I did with all that vinyl and would it be possible to buy some back. I have a Cary 306 SACD player sounds quite good it cost a pound or two but nothing compared to some of the other equipment that has passed though my system I find it good for background music or running my iPod/Wada dock combo. But if I want to listen to music then it’s the turntable and Vinyl. My music is mainly pre 1984 with the odd exception
Beresford Caiman Ipod

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Lindsayt wrote:It's a myth that deep bass has to be all but removed from vinyl. The lp version of Suzanne Vega's Solitude standing has plenty of content from 20 to 40 hz.

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... start=1850

[edit]
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.