Records are back - it is official.

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Records are back - it is official.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

30+ years of experience and 1 year advocating the qualities of NVA . You must forgive the skepticism this incongruity gives rise to ;)

remastered genesis is an oxymoron :grin:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

My job might have been far nearer the bottom of the food chain in your eyes, but in my own way, I listened, studied (and remembered) and compared stuff for myself and those years have served me very well!

[edit]
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

No dave what i am teasingly trying to prove is that there are no absolutes and it is not necessary for your opinion on anything to do with hiFi to be absolutely true in all circumstances to all people.

The fact it took you 30 years to find nva amply demonstrates my point.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Cutter rumble and general noise my arse!

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... start=1860

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Please don't argue with an Aspergic, as it always ends in tears if the argument is about their life obsession...!

[edited] Aspies can see the error of their ways too - I think...
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Lindsayt wrote:Cutter rumble and general noise my arse!

http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... start=1860
[edit]
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dave if bass was monod on all Lps I wouldn't regularly listen to Lp were the bass is clearly mixed more to one channel or is in one channel. I also find that Lps subjectively often have well extended bass. Also it is impossible for the Cd to be accurate to the master tape unless it is a 16/44.1 recording. Cd has limited resolution even if you can throw up measurements to say it captures all the audio on the recording. there are also further losses in the manufacturing process (as is likely the case with vinyl). I have yet to hear examples were a Cd comprehensively outperforms a vinyl pressing of the same music - Sacd maybe. However modern Lps regularly outperform their equivalent Cd even taking into account loudness issues with Cd mastering. Most recordings now use a higher res digital format than Cd such that an analogue chain is better at preserving the recorded sound.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Another one who finds vinyl infinitely superior. So much so that I haven't and won't mix the two in any system. I only end up getting rid of a string of CD players/transports/DACs in a vain attempt to make up the deficit. I've never succeeded in near 30 years of trying.

I'm very happy for others to disagree of course, but there's no point in telling me my own experience is "wrong". Just as there's no point in me trying to tell them the same.

kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Why are you having such a heated discussion? It's arguable that certain analogue recordings are better on vinyl than CD. Also that a lot of digital recordings are better (or at least no worse) on CD. Certainly old EMI pressings of Boult with the London Phil. playing VW are superb. However early Oasis CD's are just dire.
I feel it's all about consistency. Instead of having to set this down-force, that anti-skate, and make sure the damn thing is absolutely spotless, and tolerate crackle et al... All I have to do is come home, select the CD... and I'm away. My Steely Dan or Goldfrapp or Andrew Preview's Rachmaninov Sym.2 on Telarc will sound the same each time I play it. I don't have to fret about this odd noise, that cartridge alignment or whatever.
I'm not suggesting we all sacrifice listening pleasure for convenience or we'd all be playing compressed mp3's through an ipod dock. But really!
I have Massive Attack thundering away as I write and it's just superb. The bass is shaking the room. Would I return to vinyl? Absolutely not.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Classicrock wrote:Dave if bass was monod on all Lps I wouldn't regularly listen to Lp were the bass is clearly mixed more to one channel or is in one channel. I also find that Lps subjectively often have well extended bass. Also it is impossible for the Cd to be accurate to the master tape unless it is a 16/44.1 recording. Cd has limited resolution even if you can throw up measurements to say it captures all the audio on the recording. there are also further losses in the manufacturing process (as is likely the case with vinyl). I have yet to hear examples were a Cd comprehensively outperforms a vinyl pressing of the same music - Sacd maybe. However modern Lps regularly outperform their equivalent Cd even taking into account loudness issues with Cd mastering. Most recordings now use a higher res digital format than Cd such that an analogue chain is better at preserving the recorded sound.
I'm shutting up now. [edit] What I should have done posts ago :(
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.