Will Z Plugs cure a slack socket ???

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Will Z Plugs cure a slack socket ???

Unread post by wallace »

The banana sockets on the minstrels have gone rather slack over the years (i know how they feel).Not used any z plugs before,but as i am about to unbiwire my LS5's,would they tighten things up a bit.Discuss.. :confusion-shrug:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Will Z Plugs cure a slack socket ???

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The advantage of z plugs is you can compress them or open them out. I likes dem. It is all I use now.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

That's all i wanted to hear,thanks doc will give it a go...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I doubt it's the sockets but more any spring in the plugs. The 4mm plugs we used to use were a hollow plated cylinder with a single spring-wire to keep them firmly fitted. After a few years of in-out action (oo-er missus :D), the springs fatigue and the plugs go sloppy.

Z plugs are rather better, but the thin gauge of metal used makes then easily bendable if strained. The Z slits can be prised open a little if the plugs loosen off though and I like them a lot.

I don't use the plain ones as the Doc does I think (he gets through miles of heat-shrink), but these have a soft-feel case and can be soldered with a powerful iron - Cheaper price for ten -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Screw-Type- ... 25a30bf0a7

Just compare the price for four to the Chord Co. and Cyrus alternatives, which look identical, but sell for £20 a set of four!!!!! We used to buy them on trays of a hundred for around 50p each IIRC.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

It must be the sockets,Dave,there has been no in-out action with the LS5 until now,thus no spring fatigue.I have ordered some like the Doc uses,and will fit with my mini gas powered blowlamp that i used to make my LS1's into LS3's,worked fine. :mrgreen:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I found the Doc ones need opening out with a flat screwdriver to get a nice tight contact.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Classicrock wrote:I found the Doc ones need opening out with a flat screwdriver to get a nice tight contact.
Cheers,good to know,i guess i can tweek them until they are a nice tight fit..The current ones fall out if look at them sternly.. :grin: :grin: