Driver size matters

All general audio posts go here.
kazam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Driver size matters

Unread post by kazam »

A pair of ARC 202s have recently come my way and they appear to have quite effortlessly usurped the PMC OB1is previously in place.

The bass/ mid driver is significantly larger on the ARCs and they are infinite baffle contrasting the transmission line approach. I've got them tucked in in close to the wall and the impression is that they hit not only faster but deeper too.

Current fashion seems to dictate a shallow width cabinet, with a resultant smaller main driver and I would question the logic and the clear impact that is missing as a result. What say you?

kazam

Re: Driver size matters

Unread post by kazam »

Phat Planet- Leftfield (visceral)
Grateful Dead- Truckin' (boogie)

Yes yes.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well that should tell you that current fashion is just :bulls1: and :Bllocks:

Small drivers should be in small speakers.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Wave that flag and hold that placard brother. Amen.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I didn't want to be rude to the PMC's (I respect Pete Thomas and he's made a mint out of his business), but transmission lines are full of compromises since I discovered you don't get owt for nowt where bass is concerned (and I go back to early 70's IMF's here...)

Leaving aside tightly controlled speakers like the Doc's Cubix pro head units, you just can't beat a good bigger box IMO. They move air so much more effortlessly and often with less distortion. Little active boxes are cleaner than ever these days, but the 'physics' of a small cone flapping back and forth MUST mess up the mids surely?

Hope the ARC's do the business still and don't look too ugly.. It was a close call for me, but I could have ended up inheriting some AR3a's (12" bass driver) instead of the Spendors, which were bought in preference back in late '74. I rather wish I had now and even the oatmeal coloured grilles would have looked better today than the saggy dense weave of the BC2's.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

After seeing inside Kaz's PMCs I will happily be rude about them.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I can and shall be rude about the '20' series. Expensive, but not very nicely veneered and with a VERY cheap (read $5) bass-mid driver I believe, which has a raw-ness in its upper range. Their 'proper' huge studio models were better in passive form than their ATC equivalents too.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

I cannot claim to know much about such matters, but the bass driver in the OB1is appeared quite insubstantial. Given that they retailed at about £4.5k at the end of production, their value certainly seem questionable.

The ARCs are large low stand mounted lumps, weighing about 20kg each. They aren't pretty, but they look purposeful. I will try and take some pics later..

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The ARCs are much more my type of speakers than the PMC's (Pre menstrual cyclones).

95% of modern speakers are not my type of speaker.

I suppose it depends what you want out of a speaker. WAF or cleaner bass.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales