Attenuated Interconnects for CD players

All general audio posts go here.
Malaikat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Attenuated Interconnects for CD players

Unread post by Malaikat »

One of the most common problems with CD players seems to be that output is too high and thus overloading the amplifier input.
This results in the characteristic 'hard' and 'shouty' CD sound many rightly consider inferior to viynl.

I think Russ Andrews is right in recommending attenuation. OK, I know his prices are very high at £102(!), but there are cheaper alternatives available such as the excellent Goldenjacks @ only £24 per pair which I have used on previous systems.

I myself, use a Kimber Silver Streak with -16db attenuation built in and resultant sound is excellent; much like analogue without the unwanted clicks and noise. It certainly cures the harshness and also allows sensible use of the volume control.

Interested to know the Docs and everyone's thoughts. I am purely a music lover and have no technical expertise.

I use the following: NAIM XS CD player, NAIM 5 XS amplifier, NAIM NACA5 speaker cable, speakers EPOS ES14. Largely flat earth I'm afraid, but I like it and that's what really counts isn't it! (Redeeming feature is that I am awaiting delivery of NVA BMU!)

First post so go easy please!!
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Attenuated Interconnects for CD players

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They are musical disasters IMO. The cable should never be interfered with adding extra anything be it capacitance inductance or resistance.

So little understanding. The input of the amplifiers isn't being overloaded unless it has ridiculously bad headroom built into the voltage rail(s), and if it clips the input then the output will either blow up or immediately shut down if protected. Russ Andrews is an idiot, if he says something tech you can guarantee he is talking out of his arse.

It changes the sound by padding the input, stops attack and dynamics, if that is what you want then so be it.

Sorry can't go easy as I would not want any nva user to try them let alone use them.

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

This is very interesting, there are many big brains on here, far bigger than mine so it will be interesting to see what they say, but I can guess what the outcome will be.

Nothing wrong with your system if you like it, try and audition an NVA, set up and see how it compares.

Malaikat

Unread post by Malaikat »

Many thanks Doc - I will dig out my old NAIM interconnect to compare!!

P.S. Are you related to the broadcaster James Whale perchance? I seem to detect a certain similar 'Does not suffer fools gladly approach!' Great stuff!
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

I always think that it's bonkers to have so much gain in your system that you have to cut the signal back a lot with some form of attenuation.
Might as well do away with one of the amplification stages and use less attenuation.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

If you really want to try them out and don't fancy paying over a ton, try these... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057G44WM
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

My problem is I try to be specific about who I think are idiots and some people think it is a generalisation. Idiots are idiots, people who listen to idiots are just misplacing their faith. There aren't that many idiots but they do seem to be loudest on forums and selling you stuff.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

slinger wrote:If you really want to try them out and don't fancy paying over a ton, try these... http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0057G44WM
For pro work I understand sometimes you need them, especially when gigging and relying a hall or venues PA. But not hi-fi, as Lyndsay says get it right in the first place. In that situation I would swop out an active pre for a passive, then no problem it cannot overload.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

With some pre amps the input is way too sensitive so that vol is stuck around 8 o clock position for max listenable volume - exacerbated by a modern 'loudness wars' CD. Also some Cd players have higher than standard output level. This was RA thinking behind the attenuators whether he understands the technical side properly. The asking price is the main problem. I think whether the benefit outweighs the downside is system dependent. They can reduce digital fatigue even if they alter the sound by smoothing dynamics. This is likely never a problem with NVA amps. They 'work' on a certain level but not the most desirable solution.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Looking at a review of the XS CD player on Techradar.com, it might benefit from being used as a transport feeding a digital output to a (good) external DAC. The output voltage of 2.1V shouldn't really be causing a problem and certainly not into an amp from the same manufacturer.

The hard and shouty sound might be more down to rhe Epos speakers, you could try repositioning them to tune their response to the back wall - I have found that an application of Plastidip spray on tweeters (tip from Doc) can do wonders for smoothing out aggressive treble from tweeters.

There aren't (m)any Naim afficionado's here and you might be advised to look at NVA or Quad amplification to provide a more musical sound.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450