new turntable

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new turntable

Unread post by jayman67 »

i fancied a change from the old fruitbox (lp12) ittok combo so im off out to pick up a heybrook tt2 tomorrow,ive already
bought a mission 774 (original) arm to go on it.
what do you think? sideways move or linn beater :mrgreen:

Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jammy395

Re: new turntable

Unread post by jammy395 »

I think your off yer fukin head........ :guiness;

You did ask. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

IMO it depends what you want. If you are stuck in the LP12 sounds, which is in fact an artifice then you might be unhappy. But it is a competent belt drive in many ways, but that is all it is. If you want to find out how far you can go with TT at some stage you must move to the better idler or direct drives. No belt drive competes with those, apart from maybe the the old Voyd design. But with the current rush back to records old quality TT are going for daft prices. I bought my PL71, which is one of the best that Pioneer ever produced, for £50 about 8 years ago, I could sell it now for £500. It represents one of the best sounding direct drives. I am also getting rebuilt a Goldring Lenco G99 with a Japanese Neat (company name) G36 pro broadcast arm from the early 70's, so I will have one of the best representatives of the idler drives. Personally I could never go back to a belt drive, even though I designed and built a couple.

But enjoy it for what it is, analogue is always good.

jayman67

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:IMO it depends what you want. If you are stuck in the LP12 sounds, which is in fact an artifice then you might be unhappy.

thats precisely why i want to try another tt,i do love the looks of the high end pioneer dd's though,rarely come up for sale which is a shame.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The TT2 went through a couple of major changes. The really important one was the sub-chassis, which went from a tubular steel type which made it a mini-me LP12, to a cast aluminium one which transformed it and made it a far more accurate sounding record player. Later on, an external power supply offered a further upgrade.

The Mission 774 is a dry toned arm that first had a decoupled counterweight and a nicely flexible pair of exit cables, ideally suited to springy decks like the TT2. Later arms improved the castings, changed the exit cables to a fig-8 rigid type totally unsuited to sub-chassis decks and the counterweight was then all but clamped to the rear beam I seem to remember. Linn dealers were ignoring it by then as the Ittok was a better made, significantly finished and more universal product.

You'll have loads of fun with this and maybe a pretty good sound too. A fresh belt is mandatory and the nearest mat for it would be the thin wool one from a Planar 2. Use nothing more viscous than baby oil in the damper if you use it at all, is my advice.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395

Way to go Jay....looks before sound.

doh:

In that case. buy an origin live resolution..........looks ace ..sounds shit

jayman67

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:The TT2 went through a couple of major changes. The really important one was the sub-chassis, which went from a tubular steel type which made it a mini-me LP12, to a cast aluminium one which transformed it and made it a far more accurate sounding record player. Later on, an external power supply offered a further upgrade.

The Mission 774 is a dry toned arm that first had a decoupled counterweight and a nicely flexible pair of exit cables, ideally suited to springy decks like the TT2. Later arms improved the castings, changed the exit cables to a fig-8 rigid type totally unsuited to sub-chassis decks and the counterweight was then all but clamped to the rear beam I seem to remember. Linn dealers were ignoring it by then as the Ittok was a better made, significantly finished and more universal product.

You'll have loads of fun with this and maybe a pretty good sound too. A fresh belt is mandatory and the nearest mat for it would be the thin wool one from a Planar 2. Use nothing more viscous than baby oil in the damper if you use it at all, is my advice.
cheers dave,i had a mission 774 before on my AR 'the turntable' is was a good combination and id probably still be using it if it wasn't for the sloppy tt bearing. i then got the lp12,im very keen to hear how the heybrook sounds compared to the old fruitbox,the arm board is cut for a linn so i can plonk the ittok straight on.
mine has the aluminium sub chassis so its a later model,just have to make an armboard for the 774.

jayman67

jammy395 wrote:Way to go Jay....looks before sound.

doh:

In that case. buy an origin live resolution..........looks ace ..sounds shit
once again more :Bllocks:
where did i say this?

jammy395

thats precisely why i want to try another tt,i do love the looks of the high end pioneer dd's though,rarely come up for sale which is a shame.[/quote]

I rest me case........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

jayman67

all i said was i loved the looks of the pioneer's,i couldn't say how good they are as ive never heard one.
have you?