My 'nearly' new PT Too

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: My 'nearly' new PT Too

Unread post by zebbo »

That IS the recommended method on all the suspended PT's but the Anniversary.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dave, to be honest I would not know were to put the clip. It was placed at the back of the plinth were the cable exited, but that was before the cable had to go through a small exit hole on the arm board. I know Zebbo understood this exit route. Think I'll stick with drilling a hole in the top of the sideboard, I have had another look and cannot see how this method would foul up the suspension. Just had a thought, still drilling a hole in the top of the sideboard and passing the cable through, put the clip on the underside of the sideboard top. Anyway I'll see what happens when the cable is routed to the amp.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

If you're going to let the cable drop straight down you don't need to secure anything, just let it hang.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

P'clip = more Linn induced :Bllocks: brainwash.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

To Faf or not to Faf that is the question...... :think:

Lifes to short for Faffing about....... :mrgreen:

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:P'clip = more Linn induced :Bllocks: brainwash.
To be honest Doc, I think the p-clip on the back of the PT decks is purely to secure the cable to stop it being dragged out of the back. It's nothing fancy, just a cheap plastic clip, no foo or magic promised.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

jammy395 wrote:To Faf or not to Faf that is the question...... :think:

Lifes to short for Faffing about....... :mrgreen:
The end justifies the means my wee scot friend. :mrgreen: (and it's only done once)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:P'clip = more Linn induced :Bllocks: brainwash.
Makes sense if you don't intent to drill holes in the shelf below to let the cable hang freely and weigh the sub-chassis down in an unpredictable fashion.

More importantly, to me anyway, is that despite regularly raising prices in line with and even over inflation in the mid 80's when rich Germans would come over, buy their deck and take it back to Germany (their stuff went up by nigh on 15 - 20% over two years I remember) Cymbiosis are sending out urgent email pleas for orders because Linn are increasing most of their range by 8% in October 1st.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

If one is producing a product for a mass market good engineering practice would be to secure the cable to prevent internal damage if the cable is pulled, it happens. The cable on my TD160 isn't secured and there is no reason why it should be, once installed a turntable is unlikely yo be moved on any kind of regular basis. More important is that the cable doesn't impede arm movement, something a poorly located/installed P clip could easily do.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

DSJR places far two much faith in the manufacturer and the “taught” ways of doing things. One of the things I have learnt with pissing about with PT’s for the past 8 years is that they were made by enthusiasts who did not know it all and did not get everything right, not omnipotent know it alls .

The beauty of most belt drive turntables is that they are simple and should not be treated with reverence but as works in progress . Once I have made my new plinth with top plate , the only PT bits that will be left will be the platter , bearing and subchasis and they are the bits they got right . ;)