My 'nearly' new PT Too

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My 'nearly' new PT Too

Unread post by antonio66 »

Mainly due to TQ asking if I had kept quiet about selling an LP12 and purchasing a PT Too. I did not realise I had kept quiet about this on HFS but I certainly posted a couple of queries on other forums. I had problems setting up (mainly because I have never had to do this, always done by a Linn dealer in the past) but have now got the platter level, unfortunately not the Rega arm which is sloping back, the cartridge is too high by 2-3mm. It still sounds pretty good but I'm sure it would sound much better if the arm were level. A friend came round and tried to help but it appears the armboard is glued to the sub chassis and really needs someone who knows about PT turntables. I was going to send the arm to J7 for re-wire but I would not be able to refit since I would have to cut off the phono connector to take out and would then not have a hole big enough to re insert the new phonos. I hope this makes sense, probably more so to anyone who owns a PT. One question would I be able to increase the height of the tonearm by placing 3 washers under the base in a circle pattern. I have certainly asked on other forums if there was anyone near Watford to help and not FOC but unfortunately have had no replies.

Daniel Quinn

Re: My 'nearly' new PT Too

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The arm board should not be glued to the subchasis but in itself should not stop you altering the height on the arm.

Getting the platter level and levelling the arm are 2 different thins . happy to help but I live miles away. On train at moment. Can you alter the vta of your arm ?.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

PM Dave (DSJR) I am sure he will do it. Felixstowe to Watford is not ridiculous.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

antonio66 wrote:Mainly due to TQ asking if I had kept quiet about selling an LP12 and purchasing a PT Too. I did not realise I had kept quiet about this on HFS but I certainly posted a couple of queries on other forums. I had problems setting up (mainly because I have never had to do this, always done by a Linn dealer in the past) but have now got the platter level, unfortunately not the Rega arm which is sloping back, the cartridge is too high by 2-3mm. It still sounds pretty good but I'm sure it would sound much better if the arm were level. A friend came round and tried to help but it appears the armboard is glued to the sub chassis and really needs someone who knows about PT turntables. I was going to send the arm to J7 for re-wire but I would not be able to refit since I would have to cut off the phono connector to take out and would then not have a hole big enough to re insert the new phonos. I hope this makes sense, probably more so to anyone who owns a PT. One question would I be able to increase the height of the tonearm by placing 3 washers under the base in a circle pattern. I have certainly asked on other forums if there was anyone near Watford to help and not FOC but unfortunately have had no replies.
You do know that the platter needs to be levelled with a decent weight record on it yes?
I don't understand your issue with the phono plugs though. What hole is not large enough for a phono plug to fit through?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

antonio66

Thanks DQ, yes I know leveling arm and platter are not the same, unfortunately the is no VTA on the Rega arm and I thought loosening from underneath and placing washers in a circular pattern underneath the base of the arm and then tightening would do the trick. I know the arm board should not be glued but I puchased 2nd hand and this had already been done. I would have purchased one of those Rega arm VTA accessories which are on ebay but because the arm board is glued I would have to cut off the phono connectors to remove the arm to enable the fitting of the VTA adjuster. I have never done any soldering so would not be able to reconnect phonos. Thanks for that Doc, I will message Dave as YOU suggest. :lol:

antonio66

I knew someone would ask that question Zebbo because it is difficult for me to explain although you being a PT owner will probably understand. You know the armboard has a kind of base underneath and the arm wires go through a small hole made in that. Sorry this is from memory since I don't have the turntable here to have a look, its awaiting transport since I recently moved. I do know to remove the arm the phono connectors would have to be cut off as it stands at present. Yes an Lp was placed on the platter when leveling. Thanks everyone for you interest and suggestions.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Answer is to un-glue the botched arm board for a start. Hopefully something not too strong was used. Normally if you could remove the arm, spacers can be used to level it.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

antonio66

Classicrock wrote:Answer is to un-glue the botched arm board for a start. Hopefully something not too strong was used. Normally if you could remove the arm, spacers can be used to level it.
I really don't want to try and do that since I have no experience with the tt. What happens if its unglued? How do you refix? Why was it glued in the first place? I need someone with more experience than me.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

If it is glued then the previous owner is a complete numbnut!
My guess is that it's been tightened down really tight and has become partially fused to the sub-chasis. Problem is that the sub-chasis is made from Aerolam which, although very light and stiff, is quite fragile. The board should be attached with four setscrews which locate in captive nuts in the sub-chasis, they should only be nipped up.
What is the armboard made of?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

antonio66

Sorry Zebbo I know you're trying to help but I don't have the tt here. I could not tell you what the armboard is made of. I will come back to this one tomorrow evening when I will try and get the tt, its just I don't have a car at the present and will have to rely on someone else.