Unreliable amps

All general audio posts go here.
Malaikat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unreliable amps

Unread post by Malaikat »

Back in the 1970's I bought a Lecson AC1 /AP1 from a friend. Surely one of the most beautiful amplifiers of all time and it sounded fantastic - completely blowing away my Quad 33 / 303. Unfortunately, it proved very unreliable (prone to 'exploding' electrolytics I was told). It was then stored in the loft for many years until I saw an advert offering Lecson repairs. I remember sending it off to somewhere in Ossett, Yorkshire and it came back working fine....for a few months when the same thing happened again!
Gave up on it then and dumped it. Does anyone else have any experience of Lecson amps?
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Unreliable amps

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The case design interfered with the electronic design. Unreliability killed them off.

Malaikat

Unread post by Malaikat »

In those days I also had a very unreliable car: a Triumph TR7. What a disaster; all TR7s were notoriously unreliable, but mine was a Friday afternoon job! A poor design made worse by constant strikes at the Speke factory. Wasn't even that quick.
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Had a Musical Fidelity A1000.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/musical_f ... A1000.html

When working it was a bit special, that was when you could smell it.... :o
But the thing would shut down (probably just before melting) and wouldnt play again till it was cold..... :!: