Are most people deaf?

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Are most people deaf?

Unread post by CN211276 »

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/05/hifi-mus ... ar-it.html

I find this unbelievable, especially a it says the tests took place using quality equipment. To my ears the difference between Tidal Hi-Fi and Spotify, through a cheap smartphone and £40 AKG headphones, is night and day. This is magnified many times over on my system at home.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Are most people deaf?

Unread post by Shevans »

I hear the difference between 320kbps streams and CD quality and thats on a entry level Bluesound speaker.

There is a guy on the Sonos forums who tells everyone that all solid state amps from the late 60's onwards sound identical and backs its up with what Peter Walker from Quad said :roll: problem is that people believe what's written rather than what they hear.

joe
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by joe »

Shevans wrote:I hear the difference between 320kbps streams and CD quality and thats on a entry level Bluesound speaker.

There is a guy on the Sonos forums who tells everyone that all solid state amps from the late 60's onwards sound identical and backs its up with what Peter Walker from Quad said :roll: problem is that people believe what's written rather than what they hear.
Worse still; they believe what someone says someone else said, even if the second someone has completely misquoted/misunderstood what the first someone said. Here are Peter Walker's own words, which are far from saying 'all amplifiers sound the same':

'So if you compare an amplifier with a straight wire, you've really got to make the straight wire have the same bandwidth as the amplifier, and the same terminating impedance as the amplifier. Once you do all these things, then the amps will be just as good as the
straight wire. The peripheral effects are what get people into trouble. You can see why you find these differences in amplifiers. You can always find them. If people test two amplifiers and say, "These sound different," there's no magic in it. Spend two days, maybe a whole week in the lab, and you find out exactly why they're different and you can write the whole thing down in purely practical,
physical terms. This is why these two sound different, and the cause is usually peripheral effects.'

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I don't think most people are deaf, just have different tastes although I look at systems on other forums and it would make me wonder why they bother.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Not deaf, lazy!
When people are using music as wall paper they hear what they want to hear, only when they actually listen do they hear what is really there.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Same with looking. (and tasting and touching)

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

Most people over the age of 30, above 15kHz

Most people that prefer digital over vinyl...... :dance:
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Geoff.R.G wrote:Not deaf, lazy!
When people are using music as wall paper they hear what they want to hear, only when they actually listen do they hear what is really there.
Lazy is right, I hate in most cases digital sound, it sounds like a better sounding station announcement from the seventies. No life or even image, and often due to Class D type amps no real bass, and that manly due to poor understanding of power supply designs with a true relationship with a it's load.

And sticking big caps on does not work, it gives false load, which then needs charging in a finite time.
I have got a tried and tested and patented version which solves the problem, but the digital lies still sound crap.
It can be done so imagine it.

alcarmichael
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alcarmichael »

Check out series 22, episode 3 of the gadget show.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Pardon! what? yes I am. I should have listen to my mum and run away to the Navy
It can be done so imagine it.