Linn Rip off

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Linn Rip off

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This was standard ploy and was used by the odd Linn Naim dealer I had. Where customers were told the same thing re NVA and Naim. Even though tied up financially and emotionally into Linn and Naim (and to a degree Rega) they had to *seem* to offer choice. So one was bought, rarely paid for, and left on the shelf to gather dust so it could be pointed at and be said to stock it - common ploy, and still is.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Alfi wrote:Agreed, but the source goes back further than that Geoff, with recording and mastering.

Alfi
Quite so but in between the recording and the pressing sits the mastering engineer who. hopefully, has decent ears to ensure that the master is good. Unfortunately however good his/her ears the pressing can go wrong, I have a particularly bad example. My point was that before auditioning any turntable you must first have a decent record to play. I never relied on the records the shop offered, if I could avoid it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

All you ever got at a Linn dealer was the Linn play list. No classical, mostly plinky plonky crap. They relied on plinky plonky rhythm (Dire Straights :roll: ) to try and make the LP12 sound good and so they could dementedly wiggle their feet up and down or nod their heads as they were told to in the brainwashing shop salesmen session in Glasgow. The techniques are now well known and now have an alternative therapy following - google NLP.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
antonio66 wrote:"You make Ivor sound like a Scottish mix of Nixon, Idi Amin and Donald Trump.." I think the Doc will agree with that. :lol:

Looking back with hindsight it would have been good to compare the LP12 with Roksan, PT, DD's, etc. When I purchased my LP12, we demo'ed again a Rega 3, Linn Basic and LP12. The LP12 came tops, that and mag reviews is why it was purchased. Yes I was naive but we all have to start somewhere.
You weren't ALLOWED to!
I remember Radfords in Bristol allowed you to compare Thorens, STD 305 and JBE. Also had that Fons deck for a while. This was early 80s.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But when the Linn went on the salesman smiled and the foot wiggled - NLP. If not then they hadn't been on the Glasgow brainwash trip.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

This has been quite informative. I was not aware of the extent of the stranglehold the Glasgow mafia had over dealers. I was well aware of their control over the hi-fi press and upset Ivor in 1980 with my letter which struck a sensitive nerve.

One of the things that really got me was the constant ramming down your throat that the LP12 was so superior to everything else that the difference would be night and day even through the NAD 3020 (£90) and Wharfdale Sheltons (£60). When I auditioned the LP12 at Studio 99 in 1983, with my own records, against a Rega Planar 3 through the NAD 3020 and I believe a pair of Boston speakers, the LP 12 was in no way superior. This was substantiated by an accompanying friend. The salesman was quite perplexed and said my choice of music (Pink Floyd, Rainbow, David Coverdale) was not appropriate. He was under the spell of the mafia.

I am not saying the LP12’s lack of superiority would have been the case through amplification and speakers costing hundreds of pounds more, but through budget ancillary equipment its purchase (at around £340 without arm at the time) would have been a gross waste of money. Through, sweetners, bribes, threats, intimidation or whatever, the press had obviously been purveying lies about the capabilities of the LP12, and also the source being all important, to promote sales at the expense of other worthy products. The damage to the hi-fi industry was immense.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

This is the dealer DSJR worked for and harps on about not being like I describe :roll:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As Marx pointed out ,the ruling ideas of any epoch will be the ideas of the ruling class . And has it is with general politics so it is with hifi politics . It is amazing how many of the accepted ideas of the time , were ideas that promoted linn.

spend the majority of your budget on your turntable.
All that matters is PRAT
neutrality of products like PT ,means they loose that indefinable and indescribable musical quality .

If you want to find any product of 70's 80's and 90's that is better than the Linn equivalent , find a review that says its great but it doesn't have the equivalent Linn products ability to boogie or it is missing that indefinable musical mystique .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

"All that matters is PRAT" we should now realise this should read - All that mattered was being a PRAT :lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:This is the dealer DSJR worked for and harps on about not being like I describe
I had the demo on a Saturday, a day when DSJR was not in the shop, as he has advised in a previous thread.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc