Sonab speakers

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonab speakers

Unread post by jayman67 »

has anyone heard these speakers, Sonab OA-12.
they seem to have a cult following and doc they are omnidirectional so right up your street,have you heard a pair?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

antonio66

Re: Sonab speakers

Unread post by antonio66 »

There seems to be some info about restoring them on the internet.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is much confusion. These are nothing like Cubes, omni is completely different to room interfacing semi omnis. Cubes work with the acoustics, ordinary speakers fight the acoustics, omnis are put in the room to ignore the acoustics and create their own. They only work in fairly large rooms and the can produce a very nice effect if a little artificial, you need to read the work and history of the Scandinavian designers of the 1960s who developed this style of speaker. Stig Carlsson and John Larsen.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

ta, ive just been looking at info on carlson planet,if they only work at their best in large rooms then i'll not pursue.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

I use Larsen 4s quite near field up in my attic and really enjoy what they do. Quite odd at first but once I got used to them I just wanted to listen more and more.

http://larsenhifi.com/en/larsen4.htm
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Nihil Sleighride wrote:I use Larsen 4s quite near field up in my attic and really enjoy what they do. Quite odd at first but once I got used to them I just wanted to listen more and more.

http://larsenhifi.com/en/larsen4.htm
http://www.theaudiophileapartment.com/p ... -speakers/

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

It's my aim to move up the range. Trouble is the next upgrade I really need is a new house and a better room :grin:
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

If you are ever in my neck of the woods (Buckinghamshire) you are welcome to visit to listen to the Doc's Cubes. They are lovely.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Those Larsons are not omni designs like Sonab, they are semi omni like Cubes. So will work in smaller rooms.

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

George Hincapie wrote:If you are ever in my neck of the woods (Buckinghamshire) you are welcome to visit to listen to the Doc's Cubes. They are lovely.
Cheers, I'll keep that in mind, if the opportunity ever arises.