Hadcock 228H

All general audio posts go here.
Malaikat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hadcock 228H

Unread post by Malaikat »

Does anyone remember this tone arm? It was a unipivot design that utilised a silicone bath for damping; which leaked and therefore sounded different every time it was used! I think it cost me about £59.50 in the 1970's, but I see a current version is available at £800+!!. At it's best though, it was absolutely superb, especially with an Ultimo 10x cartridge and much better than the SME 3009 mk2 it replaced. At the time I had a Thorens TD160 deck which, due to what I know now was 'brainwashing', I replaced it with a Linn LP12. If you had a Linn in those days you had CRED. At the time I was using a Quad 33 / 303 combo and I remember speaking to a Mr Walker of Quad on the telephone, following reading in a HiFi mag that an optimised input board was required.The modified input board was supplied free of charge! If I am honest, I never had as much enjoyment out of my LP12 as the Thorens, but the mags at the time were full of what I now realise was 'brainwashing' as ably explained by Doc. I now feel acutely embarrassed that my e.mail address was inspired by Linn. I also bought into the NAIM 'bullshit' and bought both a NAIM CD player and amp because of the CRED (it was a bit like owning an up market sports car, but cheaper) . However, I do think Naim is a very good, if overpriced, brand and with an NVA BMU the sound is amazing. All of the positive Naim traits are accentuated, but with no harshness whatsover! The only downside is that I could have saved myself a lot of money if I'd known about NVA at the time.
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Hadcock 228H

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Out of the box first time, they fell apart and the finish was always suspect. I set up so many I'm biased, but yes, the basic performance justified the rebuilds I had to do - and I'll never forget having to stay trapped in the workshop until nearly closing time, setting one up (Entre cartridge) on a bloody Thorens one Christmas Eve and missing all the mince pies being bandied around :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:...I'll never forget having to stay trapped in the workshop until nearly closing time, setting one up (Entre cartridge) on a bloody Thorens one Christmas Eve and missing all the mince pies being bandied around :(
No problem there then, mince pies are overrated.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I was young, didn't then have T2 Diabetes and I was HUNGRY!!!!!!!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...