Metrum

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Metrum

Unread post by George Hincapie »

In my search for a future DAC candidate, I have been researching the models made by Metrum: http://www.metrum-acoustics.nl/ProductNL.html

They are non-oversampling and appear (from the reviews and user comments) to be very good. Have any of you heard a Metrum DAC? Or perhaps own(ed) one? I am considering the Musette; I have sent a few e-mails off to see if I can get a home demo.

Many Thanks :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Metrum

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Blimey, these Dacs are appearing like mushrooms. Must be the time of the year. :roll:

George Hincapie

I *think* Metrum are kosher Doc... :think:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

DAC's that look like stereo amplifiers. Here we go! :roll:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

http://www.musicservertips.com/product- ... ac-boards/

This is why £2000 dacs are bonkers.

George Hincapie

Hurry up and make me one then Doc, then I can stop looking! :guiness; :dance: :dance: :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am still working on my cheapy just for computer use, but anything else forget it. There are lots DIY guys here, pic a board and ask here for a builder, or maybe you can gang together and build a few and make the likes of SW1X look the rip-off eeeediots that they are.

You could always get Arkwright (open all hours, gizz 'us a job) to build it :lol:

George Hincapie

I'll buy one of your computer only ones. I'll even pay for it now. PM me if you want a willing Guinea pig...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Not a bad way to make a living, buy a low price board from China, upgrade some components, add a pretty case and sell for 10, or more, times the original price. As the majority of purchasers won't open the case nobody will ever know the origin of the electronics. Very much a case of "buyer beware".

Not that I am suggesting that Metrum are actually doing this, in fact it looks, at first glance, that they are what they say, see here for a peak insideMetrum Musette.

I would suggest that anyone thinking of buying a DAC really does need to take extreme care to ensure that they are getting what they are paying for. The Musette appears to sell for around £1,000 from a UK dealer.

George Hincapie

I agree Geoff, it looks like the real deal.

I have found it difficult to identify a Reference class DAC that can act as the hub of my system. The SEG is very good, but not quite in the class I want.