Starting Point Systems - DAC 3

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Starting Point Systems - DAC 3

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Fretless and I are currently trialling some NOS (Non-Over Sampling) DACs. So, why a NOS DAC? Well for the simple reason that their output is pure; no up-sampling or over-sampling - straight form the source to your ears. We are both going to trial one that retails around £1000 from the Dutch company Metrum (I know he has is already and may wish to add his initial thoughts to this thread). As we are passionate owners of many NVA products, we both feel that Metrum's philosophy of natural presentation aligns perfectly with NVA. I shan't steal his thunder, but the initial results appear to be very encouraging.

While I wait for my Musette to arrive, I thought I'd dip my toe in the NOS DAC world and I've bought a Starting Point Systems DAC 3 on a whim from eBay; it was cheap at £150 or so and uses a Philips TDA 1543 DAC chip, similar to the type used in some of the top CDPs from the 90s. It's a pure DAC, no pre-amp and no headphone section. It is powered by two internal batteries and is superbly made. It has USB, optical and digital SPDIF connectivity and a reclocker. It recharges via a 12-15V supply (not provided), or via USB when needed and is portable (about the same size as one of my shovel hands). The company sells direct: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-SPDIF-Non ... 1695184909

I have had a quick listen this afternoon, two albums, and it is incredibly impressive. I lack the audio vocabulary, but it gives a noticeably different presentation to the Beresford SEG. More relaxed, vibrant and musical are the words I would choose. There are loads of other users and multiple threads on other forums you can read up on if interested.

I'm going to listen to it for a week or so, then I shall offer it out to any of you who wish to try a NOS DAC for yourselves (send me a PM) on a week loan basis.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Starting Point Systems - DAC 3

Unread post by Fretless »

Hey, nice work George. :guiness;

I'll post a first impression of the Metrum Musette sometime soon. :music-listen:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Pleased you're enjoying it, and hope to get a listen in the future. :grin:

Quarknosis

Unread post by Quarknosis »

I'd be interested in listening this and comparing it with the Beresford Caiman mk2 (non SEG version).

The Metrum at £1000 is above my budget but that should also be an intriguing read.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

George Hincapie

antonio66 wrote:Pleased you're enjoying it, and hope to get a listen in the future. :grin:
Sure, shall I fetch it to the show and you can take it home?

George Hincapie

Quarknosis wrote:I'd be interested in listening this and comparing it with the Beresford Caiman mk2 (non SEG version).

The Metrum at £1000 is above my budget but that should also be an intriguing read.
Of course. Send me your delivery details. I think Antonio will have it next week, you can have it the following week if that suits?

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

George Hincapie wrote:
antonio66 wrote:Pleased you're enjoying it, and hope to get a listen in the future. :grin:
Sure, shall I fetch it to the show and you can take it home?
What a great idea George.

Quarknosis

George Hincapie wrote:
Quarknosis wrote:I'd be interested in listening this and comparing it with the Beresford Caiman mk2 (non SEG version).

Of course. Send me your delivery details. I think Antonio will have it next week, you can have it the following week if that suits?
I'm not in any hurry because I have a feeling that the next few weeks are going to be hectic and I'll probably be working 12 hour shifts with little time to listen to music. Things should get back to normal at the end of November hopefully, so if it's ok with you I'll get back in touch then.
Main System. Amp - Luxman LV-120, CD - Pioneer PDX505 & Hitachi DA 401. Turntable - Trio KD-2055/Denon DL-110 & Ortofon VMS20E. Cassette Deck - JVC KD A55. Speakers - Arcam Alpha connected with NVA LS3.

Headphone System - Little Dot Mkiii headphone amp, various vintage CD players into NVA P50 with Sennheiser HD600 and Beyer DT 880

Quarknosis

Hopefully the busy period is now over for a few weeks. Is the DAC 3 available at the moment?

Quarknosis

Thanks to Antonio I received the DAC 3 a few days ago and after getting it sited away from other bits of equipment I have spent some time listening to it using my Rega Saturn CD player as the transport.

Compared to the Rega DAC, which was in the system before it, it seemed a bit more natural with more precise imaging, a more spacious sound and a nice, sweet treble. I think George's quick description in his first post is about right. However there is a sharpness to sibilants in my system that I am finding hard to get used to. It might be that this is on the CDs and that the little DAC 3 is bringing this to the fore but I don't think I could live with it.

I have just put my Beresford Caiman mk2 in to replace the DAC 3 and the Beresford seems to have slightly more detail, imaging seems less precise and the overall sound is less natural but with greater vibrancy. The sibilance issue isn't there any more though.

I will be giving all 3 DACs further listening but if anyone can tell me where I can find a DAC with all of the positives and none of the negatives of these 3 at a reasonable cost it would be most welcome :lol: