The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

All general audio posts go here.
Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Re: The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Speakers are an extreme example because in reality they are so simple.
A true design should be a K.I.S.S. but the problem is you and I are making it look to simple and the bullshiter and marketing men with no experience or learning or interest take over far to many company are just run to make huge profits on others hard work and experience. Then cut cost with the effect of reducing quality and life of products for a short term gain to fill there bellies and drive big cars and just be arse holes.
They also jump on the band wagon say it was designed by Fred Flintstone so it must be good , a typical example of that is the Inca Design Katana , one the name was solen from me and them they had the cheek to say it was designed by, the two men that started that have now split up and one now runs a power conversion company in this industry. And that was also based on another's ideas.
It can be done so imagine it.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I really feel for you Colin. Hope things are picking up. I did not even know of your sad story until joining this forum.

What a bunch of w*nkers. Hope they get what they deserve as what goes around comes around :violence-axechase: :obscene-tolietclaw:
DIY FREE ZONE

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I'm sure many others don't know Colin's recent history.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Not just recent, he has been used and abused for decades. Too nice and trusting a person for his own good.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not just recent, he has been used and abused for decades. Too nice and trusting a person for his own good.
Thanks Doc that very nice to say, we must meet up soon all the best Col

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Axpona show. One exhibitor (cavitation vinyl cleaning) has a laugh with cable bullshit. (at around 10 mins 30 secs.)

[BBvideo 425,350]http://youtu.be/c9D02jT31Y0[/BBvideo]
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Very funny, especially his final words "Don't forget to tell everybody about our BS cable" - quite a character.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

We went to Battlebridge near Wickford down in the mud plains of Essex amongst the webbed feet humans (me included) and found loads of "Vintage" vinyl sellers hidden away in back rooms of the antique stalls.

It maybe worth a peek if you get lost in Essex and need a tea of coffee.

http://www.battlesbridge.com/

Beware lots of stairs no lift, bloody hard work with a stick and a leg that has a mind of it own based on a Jellyfish brain.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Received by email

I recently read your 23rd December article entitled "The HiFi Industry and Hobby", on the Hi Fi Subjectivist forum. And, what a fascinating read it was. I have, for many years, echoed your assertions about the hi fi media/magazines, dealer network, distributors et al, but, was totally unaware of the background to the nascent early days of the audio/hi fi industry, and how the celebrity reviewers had earned their "reputations".

It has been many years since I last fell for hi fi magazines and retailer bull***t, In fact, the mags often now provide a quite hilarious read.
I think that you start to realise that the industry is in decline, when you see cable manufactures extolling the virtues of their cryogenically treated cables, and then, reviewers for whom you'd had a modicum of respect, enthusiastically endorsing the benefits of such treatment.

In fact, whilst looking over my shoulder one day, when I was reading a cable review in Hi Fi World mag, my missus spotted the term "cryogenic treatment", and asked what the application for audio was. I reacted as if she'd just caught me reading "Penthouse" or "Mayfair", and gave her some old bollocks about an audio application to rocket fuel as used in NASA's space programme - oh the shame, the shame!!

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

This http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker- ... udspeakers is quite interesting. In particular, "By the time we have built a finished $600 retail box, the amount of money left over for actual components (drivers, crossover, etc) may be no more than 10% of the retail price. In other words, that $600 retail speaker likely has no more than $60 in speaker components in the box." and "let us not forget that marketing budget which can go anywhere from 0% to 90% of the cost of the speaker system"

Elsewhere they are pretty scathing about thin walled resonant speaker cabinets too.