Daniel Quinn

Re: The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

He should have asked some pertinent questions back then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

In the pre-internet days I would end up at a dealer to listen to pieces of equipment that I had read about in magazine reviews. They'd play me 2 or 3 tracks through each bit of kit, from records I bought along, and I would then make a decision. I wouldn't get to talk with anyone else about the gear unless I happened to have a friend who was into the hobby and had heard / owned those items. My decision was almost always 'guided' by the mags and the dealer. It's how I got to own an LP12, Naim pre/power and Linn Kans.

I was then assured that the fact that only a few of my records sounded good (to my ears at that time) on this system, was down to the 'ruthless ability' of the superior equipment to highlight poor recordings. Of course, any lingering doubts could be tackled by upgrading to the next model up or by purchasing component upgrades for my existing kit, or by re-reading magazine reviews that 'proved' I had done the right thing. I never sought out vintage gear because I had been told by 'The Flat Response' etc that it was all crap. Still, I convinced myself that I had done the 'right thing' by going to a dealer to compare and make an 'informed' choice.

The internet has already changed the game for me. Now I can seek out advice from fellow enthusiasts who have tried / owned the kit I may be interested in (provided I am capable of some critical analysis of what is being said and who is saying it). I can read more content that comes directly from the manufacturer and know more about their philosophy and values and background. I can order directly from the manufacturer, try the item for 30 days (typically) to compare against my existing kit. I can have the benefit of this without paying a 50% margin to a dealer.

There are still a few items where I might consider a dealer to be 'useful'. I'm not confident to set up a turntable suspension or to properly fit a cartridge - I'm pretty clumsy. Of course, I could always put myself out to learn how...or look at items that are more straightforward to set up (and less likely to 'drift off'). I do buy from a secondhand dealer - they let me try the items at home for at least a week or two. The pricing is usually around 50% of the original rrp.

For me, the now and the future is new gear direct from manufacturer, and secondhand via a good trader who allows home trials. If a manufacturer like Rega went direct and dropped their prices by a third then others would have to follow...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Good article. Who is Bob Pyle? How does he plan to visit Hi-Fi dealers when they are a fast disappearing breed? Just because HIFICRITIC is a first class publication does not mean that it is either accurate or unbiased. If there are no dealers he will have to adapt to the new reality just like everybody else.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

His is *sometime* writer and reviewer at Critic. I think he is a friend of Colloms.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Geoff.R.G wrote:Good article. Who is Bob Pyle? How does he plan to visit Hi-Fi dealers when they are a fast disappearing breed? Just because HIFICRITIC is a first class publication does not mean that it is either accurate or unbiased. If there are no dealers he will have to adapt to the new reality just like everybody else.
Doc may not like it but there are still quite a few dealers. If they have any sense they have a proper on-line store. I still buy from them if they offer a good deal but avoid their dusty doors by going on-line. Direct sell by manufacturers is still pretty limited I'm afraid. You get the advantage of 30 day return with internet shopping and since dealer dems are limited in their usefulness or even biased their life may be limited. Helps to know what you want first based on recommendation and past experience.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Less than half as many as there used to be. We are getting there.

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Perhaps dealers who allowed for customers to audition a range of cartridges is a safety line for some, as this is one area where manufacturers who sell direct is pretty limited - only Len Gregory perhaps?

Alfi
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Comparing cartridges is a costly nightmare in all honesty - been there and done it..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Classicrock wrote:Doc may not like it but there are still quite a few dealers.
The nearest to me is Richer Sounds in Watford, I think there is one in High Wycombe otherwise it is, possibly, Hatch End or central London.

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Yes, Sound Junction in HW. Also AudioT in Oxford. Richer Sounds in Eton, Reading and Windsor.