The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

Unread post by Classicrock »

By my reckoning only Sound Hi-Fi and Cool Gales advertise a wide range of (non Linn/Rega) analogue gear between Bristol and Cornwall. Therefore it's not surprising these two businesses have maintained their sales. Fact is most of the old dealers I frequented have gone or just home cinema / multiroom installations. Another market with any pretensions to quality is the province of a wealthy minority.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Jonty2547
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Jonty2547 »

Dealers or not…
I still think they’re important (as long as theres some morlals involved).
Now do bear in mind i haven’t been involved in the flat earth bullshit, but have worked in high end vehicle sales for longer I than wish t to remember, and have seen every underhand tactic in the book. I’m not proud and knocked it on the head ten years ago!
My approach was always “what exactly do you want, when do you want it and at what cost”. If the criteria wasn’t met, then i wouldn’t push it. It’s just common decency.
The only two Hi-Fi dealers I’ve ever dealt with were Chris at Sevenoaks in Ipswich and the Docs old friend Alistair from signals, neither which were “pushy”. But that was probably down to not trying to sell to a salesman as i’d met them both in the Audi dealership i worked at.
Are trendy glass fronted showrooms and crazy bonuses offered to the sales people still welcome, then yes probably. Sadly or not, it’s the way things are. Those buying sheep will maybe look into the hobby a little more and find a forum and educate themselves correctly, but its “horses for courses”. Some people will bankrupt themselves to keep up with the Jone’s and thats very sad. Especially if they’re not doing it for a musical connection and just to seem “hip”.
But like it or not, Niam etc will still have the fanboys to leech one cash
TT- Thorens TD160B MKII with SME 3009, SL1210 and PL-71. Amps-NVA P50sa/A40's & Phono 1. CDP- Sony X555ES. Speakers-B&W 705 with LS1.
Headphone system Bushmaster II, Capella amp, Pi 3B+ with Hifiberry Digi+ Pro & Nighthawk cans.

Dave Cawley

Unread post by Dave Cawley »

Classicrock is right.

Richard, I'm not isolated at all, neither am I unhappy and neither am I complaining. I continue to successfully run a business that's at least 3 times the VAT threshold and I continue to win awards. And it hasn't changed over the years. Why not work my way ?

Why not do as I do, take some cut price adverts in magazines, get some reviews, engage a PR guru. Then see the happy customers make your life happy.

In other words, walk away from forums and the unfriendliness and unhappiness they bring you ?

Or, live life the way you want to, and admit that others can be successful doing it other ways and the business isn't all bad ?

BTW I went into your room at Whittlebury a few years ago, you have the products that would get good reviews and win awards.

Regards

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave I used to deal with Hi-Fi retailers, I would prefer to have my balls cut off with a rusty knife than do it again. They take 50% of the money and even then you have to fight them to get paid. I would not treat my customers that way. Remember there is no dealer margin built into my prices, I sell to the end user at trade price.

Because you are here and a member of the forum I support you. Because of the libel and lies told about you by Marco I talk to you, ANY other dealer I wouldn't even talk to, they would be told to FECK-OFF! I really like things the way they are even the fights with other forum owners and their arse lickers. I take the position that I never start conflict, but if it is forced on me then I will enjoy it and win it!! A classic example is MartinT, I would probably like the man, it is not a question of him being a sub human like Marco, but he insulted me by banning me, he insulted me more by stopping the loan scheme for no reason, he insulted me more by not being reasonable over his bake-off - ergo if I get no pleasure from being his friend then I get pleasure in winding him up and taking the piss and being his enemy. He made the bed so he sleeps in it.

I have what I want Dave, so why change it. I have a reasonably easy life, any expansion and life gets more complicated. I don't want it. I make the living I want and get entertained doing the things I am best at, and by doing it the way I do I can carry on until they nail the top on. My only concern in life is to make sure NVA carries on after me, it is too good to waste and throw away.

Dave Cawley

Hi Richard, OK I get that.

I'm not just a dealer, I sometimes sort out other dealers turntable issues directly with the customers, yes I know.............. And "Timestep" manufactured products are sold directly via mail order all over the world, not through dealers, just like you, it's one model that works.

If you "have what you want" why complain about forums that will never change and in reality aren't that important ? Walk away ?

And I might be a dealer, manufacturer, importer and a distributor, but at the end of the day I'm a HiFi fanatic that had a Sony PS6750 direct drive, a Dynavector Ruby Karat and a home made moving coil head amp in 1981. And right now I'm building a fully balanced preamplifier for myself, as no one at any cost makes one with 6 balanced inputs.

Oh, and for my own use I have just fully restored a pair of JBL-L150 loudspeakers and fitted Focal Utopia Beryllium tweeters. Then there are the 1KVA monoblocks, but do I go on forums, as above : hell no !

Regards

Dave
"if it measures well and sounds good, then it is good" : "if it measures badly and sounds bad then it is bad" : "if it measures badly and sounds good, then it could be improved" : "if it measures well but sounds bad then it is bad" © Dave Cawley

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have not set foot in a dealers for 15 years and my hifi has improved so much in that time at minimal expense.

I remember the last time i heard from said dealer. He rang to try sell me a cdp. I said no and that i did not have the spare cash i used to have since buying my first house. He went from trying to be my bezt friend to rude and not interested in a split second.

DIY and the small online manufacturer rules, for me anyway.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Jonty2547 wrote:Dealers or not…
The only two Hi-Fi dealers I’ve ever dealt with were Chris at Sevenoaks in Ipswich and the Docs old friend Alistair from signals, neither which were “pushy”. But that was probably down to not trying to sell to a salesman as i’d met them both in the Audi dealership i worked at.
But like it or not, Niam etc will still have the fanboys to leech one cash
Sevenoaks in Ipswich packed up years ago and Eastern Audio finished due to retirement. Signals is relocating to a mile down the road, but friendly as they are, I was always aware of a business being run and as I wasn't there to buy anything, best not to stay and risk wasting time I felt. I don't think any of the customers were 'local' though and in the noughties, the main business was from out of county.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dave Cawley

Which all goes to prove my point that big business is not to be had from forums ? And there are better ways of selling products without the drama ?

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

The opportunity of the internet / social media clearly challenges dealers and magazines to justify their margin (and therefore existence). They used to be the only way for the majority of us to hear / hear about equipment. In the past, this USP was most valuable. They were also the only way that most manufacturers could get their product / message out there. That has changed. I'm ok with paying more if I get more, and that can include convenience and service, but the direct sellers are now capable of the same but without the higher dealer margins. I believe that more manufacturers will consider selling direct. Sadly, some may well be tempted to maintain the list selling prices but gobble up the dealer margin for themselves.
Dave Cawley wrote:Which all goes to prove my point that big business is not to be had from forums ? And there are better ways of selling products without the drama ?
I agree that independent forums are an unlikely way for manufacturers to systematically get business (through transparent means or otherwise). Some dealers may find it hard to resist, though.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Dave Cawley wrote:Which all goes to prove my point that big business is not to be had from forums ? And there are better ways of selling products without the drama ?
Yep , talking shite to people with more money than actual hifi knowledge ;)