The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My question was largely rhetorical.

On the simplicity front, I think that 4 way full sized corner horns are more complicated than slimline ported 2 ways.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They aren't you just have multiple simplicity if that makes sense. Large JBL studio monitors for example may have many drivers but are inherently very simple in nature. Current multi driver WAF towers are far more complex in terms of faffing with the design.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I would say that multiple driver slimline towers and WAF are mutually exclusive. Most of of the speaker industry wouldn't recognise WAF if it came up and punched them in the face, :lol: :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:They aren't you just have multiple simplicity if that makes sense. Large JBL studio monitors for example may have many drivers but are inherently very simple in nature. Current multi driver WAF towers are far more complex in terms of faffing with the design.
They probably use drive units that our built in low cost and in large volumes purely for profit, they wouldn't wont the bother of having there own design done when it might add to much to the bottom line. The UK industry is dominated by the big 4 and it never changes.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Most large JBL studio monitors are horn hybrids. They are not 4 way full sized corner horns.

EV Patrician 800's are full sized 4 way corner horns. They have more complicated cabinets, especially for the rear firing lower bass enclosure. The upper bass is in a ported enclosure. They have 4 way passive crossovers that are a mixture of 2nd and 3rd order with volume pots on the 3 higher frequency drivers as well as terminals for easy conversion from passive to active operation. The two upper frequency drivers are compression drivers with horns. The moving parts on these are simple, the magnets and horns less so, when compared to typical soft dome modern tweeters.

I'm struggling to see an area where slimline ported 2 ways are more complicated than full sized 4 way corner horns?

Lindsayt
Nauru

SteveTheShadow wrote:I would say that multiple driver slimline towers and WAF are mutually exclusive. Most of of the speaker industry wouldn't recognise WAF if it came up and punched them in the face, :lol: :lol:
WAF is all relative. Modern ported hamster or monkey coffins have more WAF than the 1960's to 1970's full sized purist speakers that I use.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Lindsayt wrote:
SteveTheShadow wrote:I would say that multiple driver slimline towers and WAF are mutually exclusive. Most of of the speaker industry wouldn't recognise WAF if it came up and punched them in the face, :lol: :lol:
WAF is all relative.
To what?
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

To taste .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Big changes at AVI. Since Ash all but retired from the day to day running of the business last summer and the new majority owner took over, AVI have moved to the north western side of Gloucester and returned to totally retailing through dealers, I believe because the far eastern dealers they recently set up were uncomfortable with the online business model that was set up ten years ago. Prices have risen (43% in the case of the DM5 speaker, which is now £999, the DM10 £1999) to accommodate this. The one or two dealers that have continued over the last ten years have done so on a shoe-string until now I believe.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/contact.html
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Big changes at AVI. Since Ash all but retired from the day to day running of the business last summer and the new majority owner took over, AVI have moved to the north western side of Gloucester and returned to totally retailing through dealers, I believe because the far eastern dealers they recently set up were uncomfortable with the online business model that was set up ten years ago. Prices have risen (43% in the case of the DM5 speaker, which is now £999, the DM10 £1999) to accommodate this. The one or two dealers that have continued over the last ten years have done so on a shoe-string until now I believe.

http://www.avihifi.co.uk/contact.html
interesting on the far eastern dealers being unhappy although would they be that bothered with a UK online site anyway the one or two dealers were probably not on a shoestring as they probably got a mark up.