MacBook Pro low cost upgrade.

All general audio posts go here.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

MacBook Pro low cost upgrade.

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I recently splashed out on a cheap Chinese DAC so I could use the digital output available from the headphone jack on my MacBook.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Digital-Op ... SwpDdVLS8F

Using a 3.5mm adaptor on one end of a toslink cable (I ended up buying another cable to make things easier.) and powering the unit via via a free USB port. There are phono outputs to the amp (I must admit to using a cheap and cheerful lead here - (an NVA lead is on order)) this is about as plug-and-play as could be.

I currently just use iTunes with all the tracks downloaded onto the Mac hard drive.

The audio output is "OK" for ordinary listening but the improvement this little box has made is quite incredible. All the usual Hi-Fi stuff about separation, definition, space etc seem to apply and I feel like there is a genuine window into what I am listening to - it's clearer, smoother and more natural. At first, I thought I detected a loss of bass, but on reflection, it's like everything is less "wooly" and muddled. Treble seems smoother, and definitely more listenable - certainly better than my old Yamaha CD player used to sound!

I welcome your thoughts, suggestions and (of course) criticisms, but leave you with one question - how much more would I need to spend on a DAC before I would hear a worthwhile improvement?

Quite a lot I suspect. 8-)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MacBook Pro low cost upgrade.

Unread post by antonio66 »

Pleased you liking you new dac, my brother uses a Fiio D3 (approx £25) for tv use and it's very good. You could always try George's Dac 3 http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48069

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I was laughed at when I recommended one of these super-cheap DAC's as a starter experiment that could surprise. Glad it surprised you too ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I have two of those for the digital outputs for the TV's in hif and family room.

I tried it on my sony cdp , the presentation was different but not worse .

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

antonio66 wrote:Pleased you liking you new dac, my brother uses a Fiio D3 (approx £25) for tv use and it's very good. You could always try George's Dac 3 http://hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48069
Thanks for that suggestion Antonio, I'd missed that thread. :grin:
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I was laughed at when I recommended one of these super-cheap DAC's as a starter experiment that could surprise. Glad it surprised you too ;)
It was almost one of those "too good to be true" things DSJR!

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

This went into a drawer when I bought George's DAC 3 (which I am pretty happy with (thanks George!)) so i have taken the plunge today and ordered the power supply the Doc recommended. Watch this space for a comparison between the two soon.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Here are the eBay links already quoted by the Doc elsewhere.

Power supply: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hifi-linear-D ... 2749.l2649

DAC: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_nk ... 2749.l2658

And yes, at that price I did order another DAC at the same time!

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

The dac link takes me to fashion ? :think:
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Depending on how critical you are there are a couple of slightly more expensive alternatives in the 100 - 150 pound range. The MF V-DAC, Canbridge DacMagic100 or NuForce uDac3 will all give you a good performance. As I have said elsewhere - an AudioQuest Jitterbug placed between computer USB output and DAC will improve the audio signal and ALL digital cables (USB, coax and toslink) have an impact on the sound.

Good power supplies are essential for raising a DAC into audiophile territory and look for minimal compression in audio formats (MP3 is crap, Ogg Vorbis is better, then Apple Lossless and the best sound (after WAV) is from FLAC). Further up the ladder are 24-bit and 32-bit systems (as used in recording studios) and formats like DSD.

If you rip your own CD's then use a good quality rip-program like EAC (Exact Audio Copy) or DbPowerAmp - these ensure with 'secure-ripping' that absolutely all of the audio data signal is copied from the CD, whereas a normal CD-player just grabs as much data from the disc as it can in one pass and then uses error-correction to try and approximate what the data signal should be.

Computer audio can be fun - seriously !! :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450