T Amp

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

T Amp

Unread post by slinger »

I was looking at buying a pair of powered monitors to hook up to my "studio" and pricing (for anything half-way decent) started at around £150.00. Then I had a tidal brain wave. I've got a pair of Celestion DL4 S2 speakers sitting around, and a pair of Kef Q15.2s as well. So, I've ordered one of these and will pair it up with one of the sets of speakers. I was just curious to know if anyone else had tried this particualar T Amp (and yes I do understand that they are the spawn of the devil) and what results they got.

Info on the amp I've collected so far includes...
High quality digital amplifier which adopts Texas Instruments Chip TPA3118D2DAP as the main chip, and uses a lot of High-ranking fever components such as EPCOS, Rubycon, ERO, ELNA, ALPS, TDK, DALE, Panasonic, etc.
and
Use TDK inductors , AV / PILKOR polyester film capacitors MKP selection of the best series for output filtering. Element , though small, but collections are fine .

SA-36A Pro with Texas Instruments simplest design schematics design standards. Try to use the least , the best material for the principle. Avoid unnecessary coloration to the highest possible degree of reduction of musical flavor.

EPCOS polyester film capacitors do coupling , extremely well, brighter sound grainy , tiny particles are not rounded , and the crystal clear, much like the summer ice melt in your mouth . High frequency is very pretty, good ductility and not harsh.
So it should be good. :lol:

Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: T Amp

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I haven't used one, but an LPSU will probably improve it's performance.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Also..."summer ice melt in your mouth"?!

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I use the model before that one in my workshop with an old squeezebox and my mini monitors ,easily out classes the big old denon amp i was using,which went in the skip. :grin:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Not sure about these. Gutless, no bass power and thin toned is my experience and with no current output to speak of. Very good at whisper-quiet levels I found from the Mini-T I borrowed, but harshness and distortion (sorry, excitement!) grew as the volume went up. The distortion spec isn't maintained to full output I recall from reviews.

Yours may be different and more powerful Slinger, but I regarded it as not more than a toy amp. Alfafan here uses a Mini-1 with JBL Control 1's and rates it though.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Frasernash

Unread post by Frasernash »

Hi Slinger did you order from the website as I have seen them on Amazon UK in differing specs and looking at reviews a lot of customers have replaced the supplied plug for a fused UK version look forward to your findings as I might get one to power by JVC speakers wadding removed for TV use and drop the Sound bar.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

These are also distributed in Holland and have been praised as: 'Cheap & sounds fine - but only one input and lack power'. The reviewer suggested getting 2 and using them as monoblocks. Might be worth a try! :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Frasernash wrote:Hi Slinger did you order from the website as I have seen them on Amazon UK in differing specs and looking at reviews a lot of customers have replaced the supplied plug for a fused UK version look forward to your findings as I might get one to power by JVC speakers wadding removed for TV use and drop the Sound bar.
I've ordered mine via eBay. It was the same price on Amazon but I get Nectar points on eBay. :grin: All I know from the seller's description there is that it comes with "1 x Power Supply (UK Plug)"

Dave - I'll be running it using the speakers as near field monitors, so at a pretty low volume most of the time. If I need "LOUD" I can always flip the output from my studio to the NVA setup via the computer, so distortion shouldn't be a problem. What I want is a solution I can leave in place 99% of the time. Lack of bass might be a factor though, especially if I run it with the KEFs as they can be a bit lean at the low end.

Fretless - One input is all I need, and I read the "sounds fine" comment somewhere too.

George - A review of the PSU might figure into my plans later on, but my immediate aim is (tight bugger that I am) to get something that may sound as good as at least upper low end powered monitors costing approx £150-£200, and perhaps bettering the £200-£250 I know I'd have convinced myself it would be worth spending on monitors. As long as it comes with that summer ice and my particles are rounded though I'll be happy. :lol:

Wallace - Cheers for the positivity. 8-)

It's an experiment at the moment, and won't have cost a huge amount if it fails. One thing I'm quite keen to try is using the optical out from my computer (via a cheap toslink to RCA converter) and comparing it to the 3.5mm format direct output.

Thanks for all of the replies folks. Much appreciated and plenty for me to think on.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Well, all of the bits & bobs have turned up. I've also ordered a pair of 330uF/25V Panasonic SEPF OSCON capacitors to replace the current (no pun intended) DC decoupling caps which, from what I've been reading about modding the SA36A, is probably the most bang-for-bucks upgrade that should improve SQ. I never thought I'd be considering posting something in the DIY room. :lol:

I'll also be interested to see how this performs

As for a LPSU, unless I'm looking in all the wrong places, that would cost more then the amp did, which would rather defeat the idea of doing this more economically than just buying powered monitors. So, unless you know different that is probably an upgrade too far, certainly in the foreseeable future.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

slinger wrote: I'll also be interested to see how this performs
That looks like the one I bought to put between my Macbook and NVA P20, and I was really pleased with the result - just beware as the USB power lead was a bit fragile on mine.
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)