Spy Camera Photos of the Technics SP010 Plinth

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Spy Camera Photos of the Technics SP010 Plinth

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

very nice job that, especially for a turntable the odds say you are not going to like ;)

Neonknight

Re: Spy Camera Photos of the Technics SP010 Plinth

Unread post by Neonknight »

Daniel Quinn wrote:very nice job that, especially for a turntable the odds say you are not going to like ;)
Yes that is the scary part isn't it. I have my concerns also, as I have not liked the SP 25 or SP15. But there are folks out there that say the SP 10 MK II is a different beastie. Only one way to find out if they are right, isn't there? So I had a utility arm board cut for it, and I will mount the 12" String Theory arm from my Serac on it and give it an honest spin. If its a champ, then I got some thinking to do. If it follows the course set by the other Technics, well I think the new plinth will make it an attractive piece of gear to sell. Then I might put a SME V on my Serac. Or if it pans out, I might think about a SME for the Technics, or perhaps a vintage Fidelity Research, or that arm from New Zealand called The Wand.

One way or another, I will form an opinion about this table, which is what I wanted to do when I started down this road a few years ago of owning a TD 124, 401, and SP 10 MK II. Are these tables capable of equaling or bettering a high mass modern table? I thought the TD 124 was an excellent table, and I could easily live with it. The 401 I was not real enamored with. It was dynamic and explosive, but not terribly refined sounding. I never could cotton to it. We will see about the big Technics. What I have been surprised about is the modified AR XA. I really enjoy the sprung belt drive table. Which makes me think about the various offerings from Oracle, SOTA, or Merrill. Sometimes being inquisitive sucks.