Biamping

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Biamping

Unread post by zebbo »

I bi-amped my Cube 1's but noticed very little improvement. The cost to improvement ratio was not good in my opinion.
I would imagine the biggest gains might be with speakers employing a dedicated midrange driver? Just a guess.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

One of the main benefits of biamping is that each amplifier "sees' less of the crossover. With a traditional crossover speaker there is a significant SQ gain from biamping, ime...even with simpler first order crossovers, such as those in the 3 square audio designs.

With cubes there is not a traditional crossover for the amps to negotiate. You will get benefit from using a separate amp for each channel - monoblocks - but agree with Zebbo that biamping is a minimal return with Cubes. TIS and LS7 will give you a bigger jump for your money.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Unread post by NSNO2021 »

I am very tempted by the thought of biamping my Cubix, I will probably have a go at it much later this year
Modified Airlink BPS 3110S with LDA DC filter
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

nilsatisnisioptimum wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:50 am I am very tempted by the thought of biamping my Cubix, I will probably have a go at it much later this year
Hmm, that could be interesting!
The Cubix are basically the Cubix-Pro without the in-built amplification yes?
Do you have two or three sections?
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

karatestu wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:33 am No need to change anything Paul...
I'm a great believer in the maxim "If it ain't broke, don't fix it... unless you've got a spare one." ;)
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I must be delusional then :roll:

It has worked for me. One amplifer connected to two series wired non filtered 5 " mid bass drivers in parallel with four tweeters wired in series after a single capacitor. Added the amplifiers and now run the tweeters on their own amps.

I always thought it was to do with back emf https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter ... orce and the tweeter amp not being subject to the mid bass' back emf. The voice coil is a coil after all.

Maybe i need to go back to how it was and check my findings (if i can be bothered) :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

Two 8" bass units, lower totally enclosed, two tweeters (different) but both utilise same resistors and capacitors. I have taken the Cubix apart and fitted better upper bass unit, posts, cables, resistors, capacitors and smaller round grilles. Also gone is the black finish to be replaced by a more modern muted grey finish. They definitely sound better to my ears. I would post a few pics but I haven't quite got the hang of uploading on here 🙄
TTs, Kenwood KD 8030 with AT OC9XSH, Opera Consonance Wax Engine mk2 with modified Apheta 2 MC cart, PT TOO awaiting restoration.
LDA MCJ3 phono,Schiit Freya plus pre amp, NAD M23, Audiolab 9000 CD transport, Denafrips Pontus 2 DAC, Mano Ultra2 streamer, Cisco switch, Audio Technica ATH 70 cans, Serhan Swift Mu2 mk2 speakers & NSNO W48.5 speaker cables

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Where do you host your pictures ?
DIY FREE ZONE

NSNO2021
Great Britain

karatestu wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:37 am Where do you host your pictures ?
Nowhere Stu, I don't take lots of photos and the few I share, I share on WhatsApp. I don't have a FB, Twitter or Instagram account.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

karatestu wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:11 pm I must be delusional then :roll:

It has worked for me. One amplifer connected to two series wired non filtered 5 " mid bass drivers in parallel with four tweeters wired in series after a single capacitor. Added the amplifiers and now run the tweeters on their own amps.

I always thought it was to do with back emf https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter ... orce and the tweeter amp not being subject to the mid bass' back emf. The voice coil is a coil after all.

Maybe i need to go back to how it was and check my findings (if i can be bothered) :grin:
Tomasz and I need to visit and find out for ourselves :mrgreen:
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/