My system goes "weedy" in the afternoon

All general audio posts go here.
TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: My system goes "weedy" in the afternoon

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Its your mains, someone is using something at this time that is fecking it up - only solution is either a mains regenerator or a balanced mains unit. I chose for NVA a BMU solution as I prefer that.

You will find it will improve the system at all times as well as solving the problem.
I was seriously thinking of one of those anyway. May be cash well spent (and I sussed the RA Vs NVA cost argument as well).

Thanx guys. I'm on the case.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The BMU, bought in November, transformed my system - see reviews in review thread for details. Money well spent.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

TheMadMick wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Its your mains, someone is using something at this time that is fecking it up - only solution is either a mains regenerator or a balanced mains unit. I chose for NVA a BMU solution as I prefer that.

You will find it will improve the system at all times as well as solving the problem.
I was seriously thinking of one of those anyway. May be cash well spent (and I sussed the RA Vs NVA cost argument as well).

Thanx guys. I'm on the case.
Had the BMU for a couple of months now and NO BAD MAINS afternoons. I'm seriously impressed. I'm also impressed with what it does in addition to cleaning up the poor mains episodes. A seriously good piece of kit at a reasonable price. :grin:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

I have six items of audio kit to power but the BMU only has four sockets so what would be the best way to deal with my conundrum?

I assume I only plug in what I'm running at the time as that makes most sense, but what if that only amounts to three items? I'm an electrical numpty see!

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Treat it as a normal wall socket, either plug in a two or three way adapter or plug in a mains strip.

But just the hi-fi, don't try to supply fires or lights or toaster or.............. :mrgreen:

Alfi
Wales

Unread post by Alfi »

Ah! :lol: :lol: I wouldn't ever do that Doc :oops:

First off I've go to get me another the Phono 2 power supply - thought I'd be able to make that last month but alas other needs have cropped up :violin:

Alfi.
I am in the hi-fi trade.
Company Name: Analogue innovation.

kimangelis
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

The BMU works. I live in the Scottish Borders where we suffered constant power drops (to around 205VAC) because of cows rubbing against the support wires of the transmission poles (really). Everything is stable now either because of the BMU or because I've killed all the cows. Seriously, I didn't realise the BMU effect until I thought about selling it and plugged straight into the mains... oops!
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Glad to see the thread resurrected. I've observed that my system sounds great in the evening. So much that I was forced to listen to Meddle, followed by Selling England etc, Close to the Edge, Thick as Brick and Argus in a single session. I tried Peter Gabriel's first album yesterday afternoon and it sounded completely lifeless. I've not played it for years, but I don't recall it being as flat as it was. So a BMU sounds like a possibility if we sell the house and free up some funds.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

The positive effect of the BMU cannot be underestimated. I think, certainly in my circumstances, spending serious money on upgrades is not a good idea without one in place.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

To be completely honest I will counter this by saying that I get more BMU back for refund than any other product. It is definitely an odd one. Most people get serious musical improvement in their systems and some get none at all that they recognise, but it hasn't cost them to try it. No one has said it made the system worse. I would say my return rate for no benefit is 20%.

Because it is obviously a where you live and what you use predicament I cannot predict how people will find it or why. Is it due to mains quality, most likely. Or is it due to the system not being at a level to show the benefit - for me it is a little confusing.

Anyway for the potential benefit, even if you don't get it, trying it in your system is well worth it.