Oiling a turn table bearing

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Oiling a turn table bearing

Unread post by CN211276 »

Although I am a digital convert (Tidal and ripped CDs) I do occasionally play vinyl. I think the sound of my vintage Rega Planar 3 (S shaped arm) could be improved if the bearing was oiled, but I am not sure how to go about this and am not very good where DIY is concerned. I am not sure what oil would be best as there is conflicting advice on the Internet. I would be grateful for advice from anyone who has performed this task.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Oiling a turn table bearing

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Rega use EP80 (no need for any other bullshit oil here) and that is fine if the old stuff is cleaned off first. No need for anything different. Check the main bearing and tonearm nuts for firm tightness, replace belt and mat every few years and remove the lid when playing.

P.S. The three feet should not be tightened to the plinth and a little slop should be there.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

This is also a question I've been meaning to ask regarding my PT. I know you are supposed to clean the old oil out and I do have some Audio Origami oil which is very thin, would this be a suitable replacement?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

No idea what PT recommended, but a call to Funk may suffice here possibly.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

PT use inverted bearings , the funk firm do not ,this may effect oil recommendations.

with an inverted bearing all the excess runs out the bottom . I use Castrol magnetc engine oil , it says it clings to the metal , works for me :grin:

antonio66

Thanks.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Michell use a synthetic oil for their inverted bearings. I believe it is Mobile 1 (0W-40) motor oil. You need something fairly thick. It costs £7 for a small container (more than enough) but Mobile is £40 (discount) for 5 litres now. I should have a container of the motor oil somewhere and could send a small bottle if needed.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Classicrock wrote:Michell use a synthetic oil for their inverted bearings. I believe it is Mobile 1 (0W-40) motor oil. You need something fairly thick. It costs £7 for a small container (more than enough) but Mobile is £40 (discount) for 5 litres now. I should have a container of the motor oil somewhere and could send a small bottle if needed.
If you do use (motor) oil please ensure that you use the same type as the original. Synthetic, semi synthetic and non synthetic do NOT mix. Given the necessarily small clearances on a turntable bearing, it should be scrupulously clean. That itself may be difficult.

Good luck.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

antonio66

Thanks for the offer Classicrock, I'm sure I can get some somewhere.
The MadMick - I don't know what oil went in there since the deck was purchased 2nd hand, and to my embarrassment :oops: I have never had to clean out the bearing and change the oil. My excuse is, being a previous LP12 owner, it always went back to the dealer.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Because the pt bearing is inverted. It is not difficult to clean. Clean it with isopropal alcahol each and every time.