Townsend elite rock TT

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Townsend elite rock TT

Unread post by jayman67 »

Another trawl through gumtree last night and this TT was listed,i emailed and the seller called me and explained it was a present for his daughter given to her by a guy called Mario who worked at townsends in 1987.

She wasn't into vinyl and didn't know what to do with it,so its been up in her fathers loft ever since.
He said its been used only a few times and looking at the condition id say hes right.
It has a Mission LC tonearm on it,(shame it wasnt an Excalibur!).
I collected it from walton on thames and apparently the townsend factory is not far away.
It has the original box with tools and bottles of bearing oil and damping fluid.

First job is to put the alphason on it!

ImageImage

well this this morning i put the alphason on the rock and set it up,pushed the on button and sat back to listen.
the bass is very well defined and overall appeared to be as good as my pioneer tt......that is until i added some damping fluid! my god that has transformed it,i didnt hold out much hope using the flud as on the 774 tonearm i had it made the 2m black sound dull but this is a different story here.

there's a comment ive read on the net from someone who said its the closest thing he's heard to a master tape,well i can believe that,it just sounds so real,cymbals for instance are amazingly life like.

i also today phoned townsend audio and spoke to a lady who had worked there a long time and actually remembers the guy mario,she couldn't believe it had been in the loft for 30 yrs and seemed more happy about it than me lol.

i couldn't be happier at the moment,must stop buying now for a while and concentrate on buying vinyl!

i think the pioneer may be going under the bed!
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Neonknight

Re: Townsend elite rock TT

Unread post by Neonknight »

Very nice table. I had a Townsend Rock MK III for about a year before I bought my Serac. I had a love/hate relationship with that trough. Its messy/finicky at best, and a bit of a bother to use. But it does work as advertised, and made the modified Rega I had on it shine. I enjoyed the table, and it would be one I would own again. Unfortunately Townsends are very rare in the US, and difficult to run across. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Come on How much.

I have lusted after the white acrylic platter one for a long while.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Looks in wonderful condition Jayman, only seem to read good reports about he 'Rock'. I don't think I have ever heard one. :(

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

I heard the exact tt through Denon POA 6600 Mono's into Mission 753's at a friends way back,
wasn't a minter like this one but bloody hell it was good, :shock: the gloopy mess was the deal breaker for me,
especially his GF had a cat and cat hair was in the trough. :lol:
Frank...made me do it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

How much for the Pioneer.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:How much for the Pioneer.
:mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jayman67

ha ha, not for sale....................................................................yet :guiness;
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

I have an Elite Rock and the only problem I have is not the trough or the turntable itself but the software.

If you can track down a later record clamp, you will find it improves the sound - where you would find one I don't know but there must be some out there somewhere. Townshend audio should be able to help. I've had silicone fluid and belts from them and I still have some paddles I bought years ago.

The other thing that improves it is a Merlin PSU for the motor. I have heard good things about the Origin Live DC conversion but I've never tried one myself.

Happy listening.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

jayman67

cheers mick,yes i think an outboard psu is on the cards for sure.
reflecting on this tt leaves me wondering how the hell linn argued their way out of the lp12 being better,this tt is so much better than the same year lp12.
i wasn't into hifi then so anyone that was what happened,was it the usual linn marketing bollocks ?