Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

P.S. I'll fuck off again after this

DON'T BE DAFT!!!

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Townsend elite rock TT

Unread post by jayman67 »

I was able to compare a Rock II/Excalibur/Decca Gold with master tape. very close indeed, although the dryer, leaner sound when compared to the average mid 80's LP12, wasn't liked as much by the LP12 fans I remember.
dave please dont go!
for the record the rock 2 im using is much better than my pioneer plc-1700 which in turn bettered my pre cirkus Valhalla properly set up lp12.
the rock is one hell of a turntable,im so happy i bought it,running through my MS Signifers its stunning.
re the supex will it be ok on the alphason hr-100 or do i need to add mass?

cheers :)
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

But is has a belt, I can't live with a belt, they always sound wrong. Well not in one case the three belt version of the Audio Note ex Voyd was the only one that didn't mess up note pitch - and yes I include the Rock in that. Sooooo let me know when the Pioneer is available and how much you want, remember I have first dibs.

jayman67

no worries,yes you have first refusal :guiness;
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Remember too a cartridge rarely sound the same after a re-tip,
so it might not be a Supex you're hearing after your re-tip., :)
if you like it, then enjoy it for what it is but a Supex. :think:

jayman67

wiicrackpot wrote:Remember too a cartridge rarely sound the same after a re-tip, so it might not be a Supex you're hearing after your re-tip. :)
yes ive read that too,

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I'm not into vinyl these days, but I had a Rock for over 10 years. I swapped it for a Linn/Ittok setup and never looked back. Played everything with authority, and maintenance was minimal compared to the LP12. Gave it up after I converted to CD. Nothing came close in my opinion given the easy set-up. Almost like a vinyl CD player. Stick with it, it's worth it.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:...

As said many times, and not just because of the LP12, the biggest and best jap decks weren't sold here...
It's a shame the dealers and UK arms of the Japanese manufacturers were so clueless. If top of the range Japanese TT's had been sold in the UK with marketing campaigns as effective as Ivor T's then the history of hi-fi in this country would have been completely different. And today we'd have a much better choice of used turntables to pick from.

And on the EMT thing, the BBC in typical penny pinching fashion used them with budget (often high compliance) moving magnet cartridges, instead of the EMT moving coils that really get the most out of these decks. Those BBC technicians would have rated them even higher if they'd been used with EMT TSD 15 cartridges.

There are also EMT vs Linn parallels when it comes to speakers in the 70's. Linn speakers being marketed by Linn and pushed by the magazines as being the very best available. When there were foreign (mostly American in this case) professional grade speakers that wipe the floor with Briks and Saras.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:vinyl engine

pt1 1979
roksa n 1984
townsend elite rock 1982
townsend elite rock II 1984
voyd 1987
nva 1992 - [ Bloody hell Richard you took your time } :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PT1 - absolute crap when first launched, the company was wrongly regarded as a joke at first and it took a while for the thing to not fall apart and be the rather good machine it became

Roksan - far too late for 1977

Rock was expensive and not popular to start with, Rock II was superb with Excalibur and Decca Gold, but it was too late as the LP12 had the cachet by then.

Please stop talking rubbish in response to my posts and then there will be no need for rebuttal.

The point you made vis-vis the LP12 being on its own is ridiculous and it matters not what semantics you play with price or calendar years. The time scale you stated was seventies/early eighties .

Have you ever actually seen a PT1 , whilst the build quality was not the best and the top plates do not look nice to say it was absolute crap is bollocks beyond belief .

it had an dc motor and springs in tension , those two facts alone are enough to make it better than an LP12 of the day . It also had a inverted sapphire bearing, the areolam sub chasis and the brilliantly constructed 1 piece platter which eliminated the need for a sub- platter . These are characteristics all PT's * shared up until the LPT , it is nonsense to say it was rubbish in 1979 and metamorphosed .

* export did inexplicably go for a AC motor alas .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

DQ, you obviously have no idea at all and all you have left is to pull my text apart as I don't present facts and opinions as a lawyer might. Best get off the bus old chap before you seriously drop yourself in it! Mind you, carry on as you do and all can see straight through your arrogant ignorance of the topic discussed and you become the forum idiot, which you seem to like to perpetrate!

I have set up a good few PT's in my time - I wouldn't have commented had I not a firm bed of experience to base my comments on - and the quality of the early ones is disgusting! The whole wishy-washy attitude of the company holds true to this day, with iffy quality control on the current product I've seen - Arthur admitted it was difficult. The company in its early days was a laughing stock and the whole 'Pink Triangle' connotation didn't help them one bit, although it never bothered me. There WAS a good product in there, but it took a long time for this to be fully realised.

Right. Back to work as I have some amps to make :D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...