Cheap CD player to go with AP20

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Cheap CD player to go with AP20

Unread post by karatestu »

I have bought an AP20 to go in a little second system for our kitchen diner. I have a very old Cambridge Audio CD5 which was a Richer sounds cheapie bought in 2001 I think. It worked about a year ago but if it doesn't or sounds crap what would be a the best musical & cheap CDP to go with the AP20 ?

The speakers are going to be Mordaunt Short MS902S . Going to doc mod them when time allows. Stuffing already out, might block the port until I get them fully modded. The cables are going to be LS2 and sound cords.

Thanks, Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Re: Cheap CD player to go with AP20

Unread post by TheMadMick »

In my experience there is a much smaller difference between CD players than, say, phono cartridges.

When my NuVista was off being upgraded, I used the CD section of a Denon DM37. Both old and cheap. The sound wasn't up to the NuVista but it was enjoyable. Give it a go and see how it works for you.

Hope this helps. :grin:
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

karatestu
Great Britain

Cheers Mick.

I will try the CD5 of course. Maybe a few mods to it if I ever get my massive to do list done.
DIY FREE ZONE

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Many people are now 'dumping' their CD players as the Sonos/Spotify systems take over, this means that you can pick up good CDP's dirt cheap in second hand / thrift shops.

For about a tenner each I have nice models from Kenwood, Denon and Sony in use. Sometimes a careful clean of the lens assembly and drive rail is needed and you've got something that will sound pretty decent.

Look out for: Denon, Marantz, NAD, Rotel, Sony, Philips.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The more basic CD players of old have cost-conscious power supplies inside them and sometimes, this means a leaner and more 'bleached' sound than 'Red Book' digital is truly capable of. Other old players tried to 'over-analogue' the sonics, with a slushy presentation as a result.

The following are very old and possibly past it now, but if they're cheap enough they may be worth a look - Arcam Alpha 6, 7SE (not so much the 7), 8SE, 9 and the top FMJ units, Rega Planet with Remote & Couple (or Klotz equivalent) and also the Jupiter/Io pair, SOME Sony's, but you have to know which lower caste models to get (I don't), SOME Rotels were basically very good indeed and don't have to be audiophool tweaked ones either, Denons over the basic ones do get more 'substance' as you go up the range and I have here a DCD 1520 and 1015, both of which are very tidy sounding (as transports too). Back to Cambridge - I think they're ok as well by and large and so are many NAD models over the last twenty years (earlier ones will be knackered now I fear).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

karatestu
Great Britain

Cheers guys for the recommendations.

I never liked the arcam stuff much, always thought they were a bit dull. But then i was a Naim sheep back then. You will be glad to know i escaped the flock some time back.

If the cambridge is pants then i might look at the Japanese brands mentioned. But then again i do have a very large parts bin that i coul raid to spruce it but that would mean tracing out the circuits and i am not sure i can be arsed.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

£20 ebayed CD players? Makes sense to me. Why spend more on a digital source?
http://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtop ... =3&t=48421
I went with the Lampizator recommendation. But I think you could take a punt on just about any working £20 CD player and get a good result.

karatestu
Great Britain

Well, I have hooked up my Cambridge Audio CD5 to my AP20 and B&W CM1 (given by a friend who is now sadly passed away).

This CDP is 17 years old now but is putting in a sterling performance. There is nothing obviously wrong with it and I am enjoying the combo very much. Playing Nick Drake at the moment which I had just played on my main rig which is highly modded CD3.5, Avondale pre and power amps (4) and B&W P4 transmission lines with foam removed and ports stuffed with socks.

I could happily live with this but the main rig beats it. I had what I thought were sibilance issues with my DIY modded CD3.5 but I have now swapped everything out and tried all sorts of combinations and it appears to me that the sibilance issue is either my ears, metal dome tweeters, the mains or it is just there on the recordings. Those are the only things that have stayed the same through my process of elimination.

A few power supply mods may be on the cards for the CA CD5 with the large selection of bits I have laying around here. Add another psu or two and separate digital, dac and anologue power supplies. Upgraded smoothing caps, new decouplers and signal coupling caps and possibly a pfm flea powered clock upgrade and a bit of opamp rolling. All worked a treat in my Naim CD3.5 so should be good here too :grin: :grin:

The Ap20 really is a fantastic minimal fuss integrated amplifier, amongst the best I have ever heard.
DIY FREE ZONE