Thorens TT

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Thorens TT

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Morning all.

My MIL is visiting from France ATM. Her husband died almost 10 years ago now and she has just given me his TT. It's a Thorens, but not sure of the model number yet as I haven't unboxed. My MIL mentioned it needed four bushes or something, but is otherwise fully functional. My wife and her Dad were very close and I am thinking about sending it to Thorens for a full refurb, then using it as a source in my main system.

Is Thorens a decent brand? Does anyone have any experience of Thorens customer service?

Many Thanks.

George Hincapie

Re: Thorens TT

Just had a look. It's a Thorens TD 135 MKII if that means anything to any of you. It looks like it needs a lot of love...

George Hincapie

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

That looks like the one the owner of pfm restored. Large thread on everything he did to it on pfm.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Well worth working on. The arm once set, lubricated and bearings adjusted should take any reasonable modern 1.5 - 1.7g tracker (thinking Ortofon OM series here, but the shell will need a little modding to take 2M's which screw in from the top. The suspension 'mushrooms' can now be obtained (and had this eijit bought back the delightful old TD125 he once had and loved, I'd have tried these mushrooms instead of the springs which were a bit iffy on mine - one was bent, deliberately or otherwise).

Anyway, well done you and good luck with it. A shame Schopper and others want an arm and a leg for re-manufactured parts, but it's a good deck and worth it I believe.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

George Hincapie

Thanks Dave.

I presume Richard could supply a suitable phono stage and I'd connect that straight to my P90SA? I will see if I can get in touch with the chap from PFM and get some advice about having it restored. Sadly I shall have to pay as I have neither the expertise or the time.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

George Hincapie wrote:Thanks Dave.

I presume Richard could supply a suitable phono stage and I'd connect that straight to my P90SA? I will see if I can get in touch with the chap from PFM and get some advice about having it restored. Sadly I shall have to pay as I have neither the expertise or the time.
Of course I can, it is not dependent on TT but on cart.

Dave (DSJR) will do a good refurb job for you.

George Hincapie

Just an update on this.

I am having Russ at Layers of Beauty (http://layers-of-beauty.co.uk/) make a plinth for my TT exactly like the one that OP has made here: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... hp?t=87211

I am shipping the TT to Switzerland where it'll be completely restored. This will allow the use of all modern cartridges; I've been told the Ortofon MC1 Turbo works best with this TT, so I'll try that to start with. The restoration won't be complete until end of September, so I'll update when I have news.