new speakers....again!

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: new speakers....again!

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Easily, some people even think the Linn LP12 is a legendary classic :angry-screaming:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

jayman67 wrote:i bought these blind in an auction up north,it was a tense moment when i first plugged them but im happy to say all the drivers work.phew!
i think my speaker search has ended with these,they really are in another league from my past speakers.
clarity and mid range detail is simply stunning.]
Are the speakers you've compared them against the ones in your signature?

In which case, I'm not surprised. :|

It's always nice to get a significant upgrade to the sound of your system for minimal net outlay. Congratulations!
I think the Yammies are a reasonable compromise between price, size and sound quality.If you ever get the chance, try to compare them against vaguely similar sized JBL's from that era.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Try these and then sell the Yammies

http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... 81#p146881

wiicrackpot
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Are Protos the same size as the new banned Omnisets?, looks bigger,
quite tempted but i am not one for dark veneers,
the Banned pairs lighter shade is right up my street. 8-)

While we're talking about it, just caught sight of Steve the Shadows new set up with his teardrop Lenco and your 20 amps,lovely looking system. :guiness;
Frank...made me do it.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I have no experience of the Yamaha's so if you're happy they were a good buy at £500. Time will tell if you keep them long term.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

£500 looks like snip judging by condition. I've heard these sounding both great and awful depending on system. They are obviously very amplifier sensitive and I believe difficult load to drive. However one of the best sounds I heard from a pair of these was with modified Quad II power amps.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I bought and sold mine decades ago for £450, so £500 is a bargain for a collectors item today.

Please forgive this old misery-guts. I've been around the block a hell of a long time now :shock: :roll: and played with loads of stuff in that time. The bigger the (pro) amp for these, the bigger they'll sound. This is one speaker where a few hundred watts per channel will help to force to bring them to life - and good-enough watts is cheap these days (Yamaha do some well received pro amps for a few hundred quid, but don't expect NVA fine-delicacy though)...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

Classicrock wrote:£500 looks like snip judging by condition. I've heard these sounding both great and awful depending on system. They are obviously very amplifier sensitive and I believe difficult load to drive. However one of the best sounds I heard from a pair of these was with modified Quad II power amps.
yes thats one of my concerns,from what ive read they are are as you say amp sensitive, my sony seems fine,well to my ears it does.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Good amplifiers show them up as not so good speakers.

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: For flattest response, the mids should be set to 10 - 30 and the tweets to 11 - 30 and this seemed consistent throughout the production run.
perhaps im being thick here but how the hell do you set them to 10 and 11-30??

Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.