new speakers....again!

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

new speakers....again!

Unread post by jayman67 »

i bought these blind in an auction up north,it was a tense moment when i first plugged them but im happy to say all the drivers work.phew!
i think my speaker search has ended with these,they really are in another league from my past speakers.
clarity and mid range detail is simply stunning.
my sony 700es is doing sterling work driving them.

to get them off the floor i knocked up some stands at work,the mordaunt short signifer stands didnt seem man enough for the 31kg yamahas!

i know have them tilted back 1.5 degrees, doing this has greatly improved the separation between instruments.
anyway gentleman i give you the yamaha ns1000m .

Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: new speakers....again!

Unread post by karatestu »

They are nice looking speakers, never heard a pair though.

Just need to edit your signature now :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Congrats jayman, they look in perfect nick too. I've just been reading about them in this review...from 1976.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

No accounting for taste, I hate them. For me they are a perfect example of hi-fi equipment v musical equipment. As usual just my opinion.

jayman67

lol why did i know that was coming?? :grin:
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I don't know, it has nothing to do with you just the product, that was over hyped back when. I have short time ownership and shows and other people system experience. I couldn't live with them as I say they are the epitome of what makes a hi-fi product, all a desire to impress and eventually leave you wanting as they do basic things wrong.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Effin' awful things.. Little depth of image, synthetic tone, but they do go loud given enough power and the tight bass puts UK portly-boxes to shame. For flattest response, the mids should be set to 10 - 30 and the tweets to 11 - 30 and this seemed consistent throughout the production run. I replaced mine with Epos Es14's and these were rather better to me at normal volume levels, at least in terms of venue atmosphere reproduction.

Sorry. Over the domestic crap foisted on the domestic-audio buyer over the years, the NS1000 can appear to be far larger and more dramatic in feel. Having a larger box with larger bass unit is always good and of course, NS1000's are legendary classics, so should hold or grow in value. Nearest equivalents today would be the three way passive pro JBL's with 10" drivers (maybe they're 12" drivers now) and dome tweeter...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

He bought them blind in an auction in error i seem to recall. Hasn't exactly said
If he is keeping them . ;)

jayman67

the only error was the price,i bid £100 too much by pressing the 5 instead of 4 on my phone keypad! :grin:
im loving them,they are staying put.

dave how can you say in one paragraph their effing awful and the next paragraph call them legendary classics? :lol:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Because loads of audio 'gear enthusiasts' revere them, as do others over Spendor BC1's. Both different from each other and almost polar opposites in qualities. NS1000M's have been around since 1975 or so, aren't very big and the sealed box gave a better bass reproduction and with less colouration in the early days than similarly sized pro speakers which tended to screech or squawk.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...