Re: All change on the TT front

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

2 fan boys. :clap: :grin:
Frank...made me do it.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

What tools did you use to cut the plinth to size?

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

The ply was cut to size on my portable table saw, the acrylic by hand and everything else was cut with just a Stanley knife. The cut-out was done with a jigsaw before the layers were glued together. Once it was all together I cleaned up the outside faces with a belt sander. The sides are still completely bare at the moment but I will seal them with some clear matt/satin varnish at some point.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Did it take a lot of sanding to get the outside edges all flush and square?

I was wondering if you'd glued it all together and then run it through a circular saw, followed by a light sanding.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

No, I haven't got a circular saw big enough to cut that thickness. As all the ply was cut at the same time they were within a fraction of being identical and the other materials were an easy trim. Using the Evo-stik Timebond meant that I could put the layers together with the glue still wet, if at least one material is porous, and then clamp up tight with slight adjustment available. Once it was all dry I ran over the sides with a block plane and then ran the belt sander over with an 80 grit belt. I did it all on a workmate on my driveway. :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Looks a really nice piece of work, well done.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Considering the tools available, it is a remarkably good piece of craftsmanship.
And with the right arm and cart, a cost effective way to get a vinyl source with first class sound quality.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

:lol: :lol: Cheers, but I am a carpenter so I should be able to knock-up something like this shouldn't I.
There are a few bits and pieces that could be improved with some extra time, like polishing up the edges of the 12mm acrylic armboard, but it looks perfectly presentable as it is and seems to work well so it's job done, for now at least. 8-)

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Lovely table. I liked the functionality and build of the 401 while I had it.

I had a similar style plinth built for my SP 10 MK II. Mine had a core of MDF, then a boundary of acrylic, then Baltic birch, and wrapped in ribbon mahogany veneer. The mounting bolts are anchored in to MDF, which is intended to operate as a vibration sink.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

My initial thoughts were to clad the sides in acrylic or wood veneer but when I saw the ply and other layers cleaned up I thought it looked good so left it like that.