Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

All general audio posts go here.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:26 am It is always good to rethink problems, apply a little lateral thought. Convention is the easy way, often convention is created by marketing so THEY (the slurpers) can make as much slurp as possible, and every time the hi-fi sheep fall for it. The current convention of multi smaller drivers and thin ported cabinets is about cost and profit, nothing else.
I agree with most of that but I would add that the long thin speaker exists, to some extent, for domestic harmony i.e. they don't look like great monoliths. You only have to look at what some manufacturers are producing to see that they are trying to make, some of, their products visually unobtrusive. Some even claim to sound better that way.

I remember hearing Sonab speakers back in the 1970s and thinking I would like a pair, I would still like some but they are long gone.

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

And now a query about positioning.

If the house move happens as planned, my listening room will be about 9.5 x 17.5 feet. I plan to build a pair of cube like semi-omnis. I had thought of placing them on the long side with a likely tweeter to ear distance of around 7 feet or so. This is going to be a bit tight. Therefore, is there any reason why they should not be positioned say 4 or 5 feet from the rear wall (short dimension) but as close as is feasible to each of the long walls with the tweeters pointing down the long side? That way I'll manage a listening distance of 10 feet or so with perhaps 8 feet between the tweeters, but still only one dose of wall bass reinforcement.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Try it and see, that is all I did to come to my conclusions. You will hear when you get it right.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:13 pm Try it and see, that is all I did to come to my conclusions. You will hear when you get it right.
If anything like Cubes...you will be in no doubt when it is right.

Mine have to point across the room rather than down it, about 7 feet apart with tweeter to ear of around 8 feet. Each cube around 4 feet away from end walls. Tweeters pointed directly at sofa.

My Harbeths had a hot spot and I needed to be sitting in just the right place. The cubes are sooooo much less fussy. I think if I were lying under the sofa they would sound 99% the same!
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

I'm a quasi-omni man myself, a fan of Shahinian's - my favourite speakers. I've been using them for over ten years now. I have the Super Elfs and the Arcs, both natural and dynamic.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

Simon Hickie

Interesting review of the Allison CD 8 here: http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/alli ... 8-507.html which gives a bit more background to the thinking.

Simon Hickie

Also the Allison Seven here: http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/alli ... n-512.html with some interesting observations on placement, suggesting significantly greater flexibility than with P&S.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

After being so impressed by the Cube 3s, I am wondering why more manufactures have not gone down the semi-omnidirectional route. I think it might be because manufactures are concerned that more power (more expensive amplification) is required to spread the sound around a room. Also, because of the placement requirements and need to blend in with a domestic room, an easier to position point and squirt design is likely to sound better when demonstrated by dealers, who are not prepared to take the time, in surroundings different to most living rooms.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

But are point and squirt easier to place in the room ? I thought the NVA cubes were easier to place (sealed cabs and working with the room, not fighting it) and could be nearer the wall and thus more out of the way ? :think:

CN - Great review of your cube 3's in the NVA review section. I can't wait to try the semi Omni approach myself. :pray:
DIY FREE ZONE

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

karatestu wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:00 pm But are point and squirt easier to place in the room ? I thought the NVA cubes were easier to place (sealed cabs and working with the room, not fighting it) and could be nearer the wall and thus more out of the way ? :think:

CN - Great review of your cube 3's in the NVA review section. I can't wait to try the semi Omni approach myself. :pray:
My Flatback Banned semi-omnis are plonked right next to the wall. I find no problem with placing them.
I suppose they could be moved out a bit to improve the front/back depth, but I can't be arsed.
Every visitor I have, talks about how the music is just "there" in the room. I haven't heard a word about hi-fi from anybody
since I built them.

Personally I would never use point and squirt speakers again; they are just artificial in comparison.
Last edited by SteveTheShadow on Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)