Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

Unread post by zebbo »

But the Cubes DO provide that "visualisation" of having the performers arranged in front of you. The big difference is that the performance seems to be happening in a real space with a real acoustic. That's my experience anyway.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

One of the key issues with many (not all) P&S speakers is that they are not designed around the typical listening room. Roy Allison recognised this and some of their advertising pointed out that we do not listen to music in an anechoic chamber, an environment in which many speakers are measured for marketing purposes. P&S proponents, however, will claim that a P&S speaker more accurately produces what the recording engineer has actually mixed. This for me though misses the point of what music in the home is all about. I want to be transported into the concert hall, not the recording studio.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It is a function of acoustics. I have listened at Albert Hall, Festival Hall, Barbican, and every one of them using sound re-inforcement now, mini PA, which is serious backward step. Yet small ensemble in a church (I forget which) is mesmorising. The ONLY orchestra that has had me mesmerised was in the pit at The Royal Opera House, that place has a seriously good acoustic.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

The good news is that my house move is back on and once I can reasonably get away with it, I'll be making a pair of semi-omnis: steel lined, 8 inch doc modded driver, SEAS tweeter, no crossover, simple cap and resistor on the tweeter, approx 17 litre internal volume. Then I'll experience for myself what it's all about.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 pm Yet small ensemble in a church (I forget which) is mesmerising. The ONLY orchestra that has had me mesmerised was in the pit at The Royal Opera House, that place has a seriously good acoustic.
My most recent orchestral experience is there, I agree.