Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

All general audio posts go here.
CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

Unread post by CN211276 »

I found that the Cubes sounded far better(especially the bass) when optimally positioned. With point and squirt I have found that differences are significantly less prononced in relation to their distance from the rear wall.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

I have no problem with the bass, but I designed them to be placed next to the wall. The Doc has to cater for a much wider audience than me, so his speakers probably will need a bit more attention paid to positioning. I had his Cube 2 on loan and they did benefit from being moved about, but they never sounded less than superb wherever they were placed.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Ime the Cubes are much easier to position because the sound snaps into place. It is very obvious. Like focusing a camera lens. Start with distance from wall, then desired width apart, then toe-in. 5 minute job. They are also the least intrusive speaker I have owned in this house as they work best here within a few inches of the wall.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I can only agree with the above posts, music is just in the room. Great review CN, and pleased you're liking your new Cubes.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Getting people to open their ears and hear them is not as hard as getting people to open their minds and want to hear them - their loss !

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

After many, many pairs of, (point & squirt), speakers passing through my lounge, some more acceptable than others, I tried the Cube 1's almost out of desperation. However much I tried to keep an open mind I kept thinking that the semi-omni design wasn't going to give me the 3D soundstage that I want. I was sure they were going to give a very nice, big, musical sound but one that was diffused and fuzzy - WRONG !!! SO ABSOLUTELY WRONG. :dance: :dance:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I had similar concerns but could not have been more wrong. The 30 day return option was the safety net.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Yes indeed, a market leading strategy. A few others do it but not many.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

At ebay it is compulsory to give either 30 or 60 day return. 60 day for me is too long and not needed, if people can't make up their minds by 30 days then just send it back, I think any normal person not trying it on will have made up their mind before that. BUT for me it is not a fixed date, I have never refused to take back, but I have yet to have someone try it on. I think the difference for us is no quibble return, you have an accident with it during the 30 days makes it my problem not yours.

It is compulsory under law to give at least 30 days now for changing your mind in distant selling, which is why you should always order on line even with a shop as if bought in shop you do not have that protection. Some companies I am sure will try to mess you around and ultimately your only protection is a County or High Court action, which is a PITA and time consuming.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I am certain that in years and decades to come the Cubes will be widely acknowledged as a groundbreaking design. Not just the semi-omni aspect but combining this with removal of crossover and doping of driver, and acrylic cabs without wadding. The purity, clarity, scale, ease and immediacy of sound are streets ahead of any point and squirt speaker of anywhere near the same proportions. I never imagined I could achieve such a big and coherent sound in my relatively small room.

The same story / cycle with the nva model of direct selling, 30 day trial or full refund, and the 'full value' upgrade scheme. This will be the future. The logic is simple and unavoidable. In the meantime, observing the eeeediots is the price you will have to pay for telling people with vested interests (financial and / or ego) that they must change.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/