Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have another way of showing and explaining the difference between point and squirt and semi omni loudspeakers. You have an orchestra or group or anything that creates a sound stage. With point and squirt it is like the players are on a revolving platform that revolves to follow you around as you move until you drop out of the sweet zone then the music fall apart. A semi omni keeps the sound stage stable and you just move around relative to it, and it rarely makes the music fall apart as the room *is part* of the soundstage. The soundstage / music starts to fall apart when the room is too large, especially if too high for the speakers

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Re: Semi Omni v Point and Squirt

Unread post by antonio66 »

I can vouch for that Doc.

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Plus one on that score.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

evilC
Great Britain

Unread post by evilC »

So, what is 'too high', where I am now has 10ft ceilings. Does the maximum/optimum height vary with the size of the upward firing drive unit (I'm thinking Cubes here)?
Stupid thought, but with higher/lower ceilings do you move the speakers closer to/further away from the wall?

Clive

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

10ft is fine, we are talking about the sort of rooms used in big room dem shows like Owston and NEBO. They get lost in very large areas and they lose the room effect with 12 to 15ft high ceilings. The room I had at Scalford about 8 years ago had what looked like 20ft ceilings. Cube 1s really struggled to work.

evilC
Great Britain

Unread post by evilC »

Thanks. Not. So I can't cross them off my list! :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Up to you.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

evilC wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:09 pm Stupid thought, but with higher/lower ceilings do you move the speakers closer to/further away from the wall?

Clive
Once you've learned how to position cubes to suit you (how far out from a wall, how far to toe in), you can pretty much plonk them down in any domestic room and you'll get what you expect. I know this is a bit tautologous, but I don't think the variation in normal domestic listening conditions (unless you live in a barn) particularly affects them.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Nihil Sleighride
Great Britain

Unread post by Nihil Sleighride »

Since getting used to my Larsen's, I don't think I'd go back to point and squirt. As an aside, I believe MCRU may now carry the range, as they are on the website; might be an alternative to the NS1000 he proposes to use at the phono bake off.
Pi 4 - Volumio - SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC - Technics SL-1210 - LDA Power Supply - Ortofon TA-110 - Clearaudio Charisma V2 - Music First 632 - NVA P50SA - NVA A80 - Wharfedale Linton Heritage - NVA LS7/TIS

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Yes, I've seen the Larsens on his website.
Like you, after having experienced semi-omni operation via my own design speakers and the NVA Cube 2 s I had on loan from Richard, I'd never go back to direct radiators. Semi-omni presentation is simply more natural to my ears and sounds like real music playing in the room. The only thing that came close for musical realism were my big Metronomes.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)