a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
scotty38
Kiribati

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by scotty38 »

Yep that's the one Ant, comparing mine to Paul's is Prince and the Pauper territory :grin:

scotty38
Kiribati

What feet are going on it by the way?

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Dunno about that, the higher output from the synergy is useful though
The tip mass reduction is the more interesting bit to me.
It would certainly be interesting to compare the 2 side by side.
Personally I'd rather spend the required on the spu no1 e than say a Hana El or its equivalent if I had that kind of choice and the high mass arm required.

I've grown kind of fond of the spu having listened properly to Paul's synergy, which Paul finds quite amusing as I am a fully paid up stylus snob, my favourite carts are all Japanese and have exotic stylii.....

But the spu is the outlier that has snuck into that group of favourites.

Still can't stand the denon 103 though

The feet going on Paul's are 25mm tall adjustable chromed cones
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jayman67 »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:54 pm Next one is finished, or 99.999% finished, bloody feet still haven't turned up...
Pauls 401

ImageGarrard 401 ortofon ta210 spu dynavector ultimo 20a by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

In that shot it temporarily has a borrowed SPU on it to check that the alignment was spot on, which it is. It will have an SPU on it when it goes home. As the SPU is not mine, it was then taken straight back off and stored away snug in its box.
It has some temporary feet on it to make it useable until the proper ones finally turn up. or don't, in which case i will be mildly annoyed an have to make some

ImageGarrard 401 ortofon ta210 spu dynavector ultimo 20a by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Its a big bugger, that monstrous ortofon arm is longer than most 12" arms in terms of spindle to pivot distance. They usually range somewhere around 290-295mm, that ortofon is 316.5 so is about an inch further out than the norm.

spinning 12" singles is fun

I put the dynavector ultimo 20a in it once the SPU was put away, the arm needs alot of headshell weight to balance up, the headshell with it is a 15g one, so all up with that cart in it is about 25g on the end of the arm. It does mean that medium to high compliance carts wont like it, I put the SL15 E LL in the headshell and got an immediate resonance out of it because the SL is high compliance at 24. the SPU is 8. A different bit of rubber in the assembly to make it useable with SME arms in 1968 when it was made. The Dynavectors compliance is also listed as 8, its probably abit more but not a huge amount, id estimate about 12 ish so it works fine

Its on some different feet right now to raise it up higher as the arm cable that comes with the ortofon is a stupid gargantuan cable that looks like it could string a suspension bridge. its not very bendy, about a half inch thick, and is cumbersome and awkward to use. Don't even think about using on a suspended subchassis deck, it would be utterly impossible to get it to work. In the earlier shots Id used a different cable. But other than the stupid cable the arm is rather nice.

It will be here for a little while until it gets collected, so ill get to enjoy it for a short time
on to the next one :mrgreen:
wow,loverly work there!
im just getting together all the stuff needed for my plinth project,mine also has radius edges,what would glue would you advise for veneering the edge?
i keep coming back to good old fashioned contact adhesive.
have you used panzerholz yet by the way?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

scotty38
Kiribati

Cheers Ant, do you have a link to the adjustable cones? Are they something like this:
https://www.analogueseduction.net/isola ... -of-4.html

Was thinking about maybe these, with either M6 or M8 studs as needed, along with the associated cups for mine, what do you reckon?
https://www.analogueseduction.net/isola ... of-4-.html

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Good old contact adhesive is what is usually used for veneering for good reason. with the radius corners you will need veneer flexible enough to go around without cracking. Birds eye maple and other exotic stuff probably won't be so have a good chat with the supplier first about the veneer you want. Also Make sure the radius is big enough for the veneer, too tight an angle such as a 1" radius might be too small,and cause it to crack. the ones on this are 27mm so that the radius is the same as the distance between the edge of the motor unit and the edge of the plinth so that it looks right. Test it with an offcut first if poss. I used a paper backed veneer for this one as it is very flexible and prevents cracking on the radius.
Haven't used panzerholtz because it's stupid money and difficult to get
The cones are similar to those ones Martin, and have a locking nut, and are not silly money like those ones.
Rdc cones are OK but it would be a complete arse to drill and tap a thread into that is centred and square to the centreline of the cone because you can't grab the cone in a lathe chuck to drill it out, or hold it square to the drill press table without a fixture of some sort
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

scotty38
Kiribati

Cheers ant, re the RDC cones, you can buy them either blank, with M6 stud or M8 stud so no worries :-)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Been playing with different carts as I couldn't get the ultimo to line up exactly without skewing it in the headshell which is not ideal, and it was grating on me that it was at an angle relative to the headshell.

Tried pretty much all the carts I have

Trouble is that the arm requires at least 21g for the combined headshell and cart weight which means using the supplied 15g lh-2000 headshell as I don't have anything heavy enough. Andy sent me a few headshells this week to try, all are about 10g give it take which isn't heavy enough for this particular arm, but is spot on for the other stuff I have here (cheers Andy)

Problem with this is that the headshell slots are too short for the ultimo and pretty much everything else too. the ultimo has a short cantilever so the stylus tip is not 9.5 mm from the mounting bolt centres as the rest of the worlds supply of carts is.
Couple this with the too short slots and you get alignment issues.

In the end, the only cart I could use that was heavy enough and had the normal sort of cantilever dimensions to allow the arm to balance and line up was the at150. And it is as far forward as it can go.

The Hana is too light to balance, the sl15 too high compliance, the ultimo too short in the cantilever area, the at440 too light again, so was the dv20a2. Didn't bother with the denon 301 as that is too short too.

So. Much gritted teeth and hair loss later, the 150 went on... Just barely. Those slots on the supplied lh-2000 are just silly. I googled it and found that others have mentioned this too on various fora, that they had problems with alignment using it. I did have a technics headshell a while ago that had the same problem, I dont use technics ones for this reason and I shan't use ortofon ones either. Just get a jelco hs25 instead. That has azimuth adjustment too....

No such issues with an spu though, strange that.... :mrgreen:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Do what Richard used to do and glue the buggers on :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Somehow I don't think that Paul would be particularly enamoured with that idea stu........ :mrgreen:
I am however rather enjoying the deck with the at150 at the business end, Paul did tell me to run it in for him, spinning synchronicity by the police now