a couple of turntable restorations

All general audio posts go here.
Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Re: a couple of turntable restorations

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Got a bit more done

ImageEds1000 airprodigy build by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

Trim has been painted satin black, I have an idea for for another trim piece haven't made it yet as I haven't got any pieces of sheet material big enough hanging around, but I have an idea for another trim piece that follows a cue from the plinth itsself. I'll make another one when I can get some more materials in.

I've treated the oak with some teak oil just to darken it a bit and pull the grain out, I haven't used a finishing wax on it this time as I kinda like the matte finish that the straight teak oil has given on the veneer. It seems to fit with the satin black finish on the trim

The multipin plug and socket arrived today, nice and chunky, I picked this one because it has a mounting flange rather than a nut, its neater to use as it screws straight on rather than faffing about making a plate for it

Managed to get a really nice finish on the current trim piece which I was surprised at, really its been too hot to spray properly today, i was expecting the paint to craze, but the primer actually took really well. Also polished the platter up. another job ticked off the list. shame its still stood on its spray can lid legs, hopefully the real ones will show up soon.....
These users thanked the author Vinyl-ant for the post:
savvypaul (Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:55 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Arm board is done, nice and simple. The rebate it sits in is 18mm deep and the hardwood base layer of the board is 20mm. The acrylic top surface is 3mm to give a 5mm height over the main plinth, based on the dimensions of the arm.

I'm trying to keep a clean, unfussy look to the build and keep an 'overall' look rather than having details that stick out. We'll see wether that works when the arm is on it

Firebug1 (Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:21 pm)
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

scotty38
Kiribati

Unread post by scotty38 »

Looks great Ant

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:51 pm Got a bit more done

Need to admit I am NOT a TT guy - but it is a first TT i am looking at and thinking "well I could see it in my room" ;] Just hoping you are planing to fit different feet ;]
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Dunno about that the rattle can lids are growing on me

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Vinyl-ant wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:58 pm Dunno about that the rattle can lids are growing on me
All you need is a can liquid polyurethane foam to spray inside the lids and you're sorted :grin:
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

got the psu done today, so the deck itsself is complete apart from some minor things.
I hadn't got any oak left for a case, and the only stuff I did have with a similar tone to the oak was an offcut of olivewood left over from a chassis build i did for someone about a month back. not enough for a full case, so I bought cheap case of ebay to cannibalise

The case was only 13 quid, not shown is a nasty bit of ally for the front, but that was not a problem as I didn't intend using it anyway.

I cut and shaped the olivewood to replace the front and back, and the brackets as it sits inside the 2 parts of the case, like this.

abit of paint, some cutting, filing and bleeding, and we have a psu case

as you can see, the original adjustment knobs are too small so they will get changed for some new ones, and i had to bodge a part of the original bracketry to use to select 33 or 45 rpm, because i haven't got a control knob that will fit on the very short shaft of the original switch. i might just turn up a set of matching controls for it as the adjustment pot shafts are 4mm anyway. then it should look ok.

It doesn't match the deck, but it works perfectly and it'll be tucked out of the way anyway so it doesn't matter too much. the deck is the bit to look at anyway.

need to re polish the platter again though.... cant wait for the arm to be finished.
onwards!
slinger (Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:03 pm)

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

More nice work, looking forward to seeing the arm mounted.

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

sorted out the control knobs on the psu box, nice and simple. After abit of thought, I just sleeved up the 4mm shaft pots with some air line tubing to make them 6mm and some normal control knobs fitted perfectly. no need to make any.

I also bought another 5mm neoprene platter mat for it (same as the ones I use on the lenco and jvc) to replace the dual one.
the middle control does need modifying though, the setscrew doesn't grab the switch shaft properly as its too far up the body of the control knob. I'll have to drill and tap a new hole closer to the base of it so it'll sccure properly, but predictably, i dont have a 3mm tap that will actually tap.......

Latteman
Great Britain

Unread post by Latteman »

Do u still need a tap?
Analogue Source -
Denon DP47f; AT-VM95SH
GL-59; ARB uni pivot; AT- Signet
Ifi Zen Phono
Doug Self balanced Pre amp
Akai 4000DS mk2 R2R
Digital Sources- Argon Pi4 v2; IfI iUSB 3.0, Ifi Neo idsd Dac;