Expensive Dacs. Are they worth it?

All general audio posts go here.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Expensive Dacs. Are they worth it?

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Ithilstone wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm
Maybe I just have a set of bad ears or maybe there is confirmation bias at play
No aspersions cast or intended! The main differences I have heard revolve primarily around transparency, soundstage and imaging. A good friend of mine was only finally convinced to move over to computer based audio as the primary front end rather than being CD based when he used my USB cable.

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I borrowed the Dac 3 [£150] from George Hincapie, and although very good it was definitely betterd by my Calyx.

OrangeFixie
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by OrangeFixie »

Hi, expensive is relative of course! I bought an Audiolab M DAC+ earlier this year (expensive by my standards!). I was interested in experimenting with storing CD's onto my laptop and listening to them via the Audiolab to find out wether or not a SSD sounded better than CD replay through my Naim CD5x. I thought I would try using my Phillips DVD player as a transport to the MDAC+ as an initial experiment/comparison with the Naim CD player. 8 year old or there a-bouts DVD player that cost around £40 into DAC I bought from a local Hi Fi dealer for £650. I have enjoyed listening to music from Naim CD players via NVA amplification for years, but the Phillips/Audiolab combo sounds so much clearer, less coloured and somehow easier to listen to that I sold both my Naim players. Then I bought a dedicated transport! So in my experience, an expensive DAC was worth it, to the extent I still haven't got around to experimenting with computer audio!

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

I've heard obvious 'differences' between dacs in 'hifi' terms but I have only found a couple of dacs that I would consider to be musically engaging. The most expensive dac I've heard - Auralic Vega @ £3k - would cure me of insomnia.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Being mulling over this subject for a few days - are expensive DAC's worth it?

Firstly - what is expensive ? My Metrum Musette (was about 1000 pounds new - now discontinued) is the most musically satisfying digital converter I have had in my system, the lack of over-sampling and post-conversion manipulation of the signal provides a 'natural-ness' of sound that complements the similar character of NVA equipment perfectly.

My experience with DAC units goes back to the first outboard USB DAC's and the beginnings of HIfi units like the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. If there is one thing I have spotted along the way it is that digital processors like to have a good dose of electricity - the better the PSU, the better the sound. For instance I have a modest Cambridge DacMagic100 running with an SBooster PSU (combined price about 450 euro) which gives me a performance that I could certainly describe as 'enjoyable audiophile level'. The SBooster also works similar wonders on the bigger DacMagic Plus - increasing definition, dynamics, imaging, etc.. For someone just starting out into digital audio I would advise one of these 2 units and then add a PSU when you can afford it.

In the car, I have had a Fiio X3 portable player for several years, playing FLAC files through the car stereo. A few months ago I was recharging the player via a small USB in-car-charger and heard a clear improvement in sound over the Fiio's internal battery, which was normally used. Recently I got a car-charger with a 5V/2.1A output and this has dramatically improved the SQ of the Fiio player and has the audiophile in me happily enjoying my music whilst driving. (The X3 has a headphone out, stereo line-out, digital output and can be used as a USB DAC. Great device!!).

Like the analogue fraternity who can swap arms and cartridges on turntables, Digital audio is developing into a playground for the audiophile hobbyist who can experiment with interconnect cables, power supplies, file compression formats, and different types of processing.

So, is an expensive DAC worth it? Well, if you've got the money, why not? Yes, get the best unit that you can afford - but be aware that with a little thought and careful experimentation there are ways to get a terrific sound without having to break the bank. :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

" Digital audio is developing into a playground for the audiophile hobbyist who can experiment with interconnect cables, power supplies, file compression formats, and different types of processing. "

With a good dose of Foo. :lol:

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

I would like there to be a bake off where expensive DACs were pitted against less expensive ones, prfrebaly feeding NVA gear. I think my Chord Mojo is very good as the improvements brought about by adding NVA gear have always been very evident. I think I could spend a lot of money on a DAC, which might not double as a head phone amplifier, and hear little or no improvement.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Fretless wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm Being mulling over this subject for a few days - are expensive DAC's worth it?

Firstly - what is expensive ? My Metrum Musette (was about 1000 pounds new - now discontinued) is the most musically satisfying digital converter I have had in my system, the lack of over-sampling and post-conversion manipulation of the signal provides a 'natural-ness' of sound that complements the similar character of NVA equipment perfectly.

My experience with DAC units goes back to the first outboard USB DAC's and the beginnings of HIfi units like the Musical Fidelity V-DAC. If there is one thing I have spotted along the way it is that digital processors like to have a good dose of electricity - the better the PSU, the better the sound. For instance I have a modest Cambridge DacMagic100 running with an SBooster PSU (combined price about 450 euro) which gives me a performance that I could certainly describe as 'enjoyable audiophile level'. The SBooster also works similar wonders on the bigger DacMagic Plus - increasing definition, dynamics, imaging, etc.. For someone just starting out into digital audio I would advise one of these 2 units and then add a PSU when you can afford it.

In the car, I have had a Fiio X3 portable player for several years, playing FLAC files through the car stereo. A few months ago I was recharging the player via a small USB in-car-charger and heard a clear improvement in sound over the Fiio's internal battery, which was normally used. Recently I got a car-charger with a 5V/2.1A output and this has dramatically improved the SQ of the Fiio player and has the audiophile in me happily enjoying my music whilst driving. (The X3 has a headphone out, stereo line-out, digital output and can be used as a USB DAC. Great device!!).

Like the analogue fraternity who can swap arms and cartridges on turntables, Digital audio is developing into a playground for the audiophile hobbyist who can experiment with interconnect cables, power supplies, file compression formats, and different types of processing.

So, is an expensive DAC worth it? Well, if you've got the money, why not? Yes, get the best unit that you can afford - but be aware that with a little thought and careful experimentation there are ways to get a terrific sound without having to break the bank. :music-listening: :music-listening: :music-listening:
Basically what my learned friend posted. There is no 'right ' answer, always within the bounds of your own budget and preferences. Fretless makes a very valid point, the cost of 'quality' when it comes to DACs is getting lower all the time, you really don't need to spend a lot.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Not sure if this is relevant at such late a stage...

I have a Rega DAC partnered with my Rega Apollo player. Tried the player alone (as a cost-cutting measure) and ws amazed at the lowering or quality. The Rega player became realtively hard and didn't disimmilate the various threads of the music. Reinstating the DAC was quite if not very noticeable in terms of smoothness, clarity and a distinct lack of 'shout' at higher volumes. In my opinion bery worthwhile.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I just stumbled upon a USB dac that exceeds previous cheap USB and computer sound cards I have had. It's a Ugreen USB 2.0 external stereo sound adaptor (China) £6.99. Added a massive extra level in bass. Great where space is limited or for laptops. Obviously not for serious h-fi but great for listening to Youtube videos. Only bought it to have a standard USB plug that didn't take up two ports.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)