Naim speaker plugs

All general audio posts go here.
guydarryl

Naim speaker plugs

Unread post by guydarryl »

I didn't want to cause too much drift on the AOS thread, so I have started this one.

Do the plastic plug casings on the Naim speaker plugs offer a mechanical advantage by holding the "pins"/banana plugs slightly in tension against the socket walls - I always thought the spacing of the pins in the plugs made it a bit of a tight fit getting the plugs in and out :text-blondmoment:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Naim speaker plugs

Unread post by karatestu »

I dont know, thought they were there to stop you shorting the plugs together and blowing up the amp.
DIY FREE ZONE

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

multi purpose?
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Naim plugs have a 'tang' on them. Done properly it meant that the average Naim Numpty would get the channels round the right way. And yes, the plugs wouldn't short at the amp end (speaker end too if Naim ones)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

My Quad 707 has speakon connectors no problems with coming loose, shorting or incorrect phase, just needs a lot of room behind the amp.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 am My Quad 707 has speakon connectors no problems with coming loose, shorting or incorrect phase, just needs a lot of room behind the amp.
Aren't you tied to thin speaker cables though? I hated the bloody things but loved the 707 otherwise...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:17 am
Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:06 am My Quad 707 has speakon connectors no problems with coming loose, shorting or incorrect phase, just needs a lot of room behind the amp.
Aren't you tied to thin speaker cables though? I hated the bloody things but loved the 707 otherwise...
Not particularly, I use a fairly heavy cable. The Speakon comes in two pole and four pole varieties, the two pole one takes larger diameter conductors than does the four, the Quad uses the two. They do the job they were designed for very well, they weren't designed for domestic Hi-Fi, and solve many of the problems associated with repeated set-up and break-down.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

I have used speakons for DC power leads before. Can get some chunky wire in them from what I remember
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

4mm z plugs are all anyone needs if they have 4mm sockets.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

guy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 pm I didn't want to cause too much drift on the AOS thread, so I have started this one.

Do the plastic plug casings on the Naim speaker plugs offer a mechanical advantage by holding the "pins"/banana plugs slightly in tension against the socket walls - I always thought the spacing of the pins in the plugs made it a bit of a tight fit getting the plugs in and out :text-blondmoment:
At the time, part of the reason stated for the design was so that the speaker could sit virtually flat back against the wall. The spacings were based on fitting Linn Kans, Saras etc...before Naim made speakers themselves.

As expected, pricing is now a complete p*sstake. In the late 80s I'm sure they were less than a pound a go from Naim dealers.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/