Speakers for Large Scale Orchestral Music

All general audio posts go here.
Simon Hickie
Has thanked: 0

Speakers for Large Scale Orchestral Music

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

I listen to all sorts of music from singer-songwriter to large scale orchestral works. My current speaker cabs are now at the tip and the bass drivers on fleabay. A friend and I wandered into Superfi this afternoon out of curiosity. A pair of £2000 Kefs, Arcam amp and feed from an Arcam dac sounded utterly hopeless and typically hi-fi. We described the system as 'struggling' with respect to soundstage, dynamics, clarity, transparency etc. etc. The salesperson was surprised as nobody had made those observations before. He also commented that I was, therefore, looking at something MUCH more expensive. Perhaps I'm getting a better understanding of what I'm listening to.

This got me thinking. The modern trend for multiple small drivers just doesn't seem to cut it for an appropriate portrayal of big orchestral stuff. There are obviously a number options including a pair of DIY Cube 1 sized semi-omnis (on hold again pending the move), a pair of open baffle jobs with 15 inch bass drivers (Martin King style but with a (doped) bass driver running full range), something like Steve's latest & greatest (although my wordworking capabilities are limited), a two box solution like Stu's or something else. I value transparency above absolute bass extension, but I want timpani to sound like timpani, not a pale imitation. Suggestions / ideas / observations welcome.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Speakers for Large Scale Orchestral Music

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Which Steve are you talking about? Steve who took his 2 section speakers to MCRU's on Sunday? They were really nice speakers.

I agree about Superfi Kefs being hopeless. There's every chance you can knock up something much better.

pgarrish
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by pgarrish »

I think the issue with many speakers is they try too hard. Tiny drivers being asked to do too much bass being the main culprit. If you can find honest speakers that just do what they can I think they will satisfy even if not at the absolute scale you may want. Eg little JPW sonatas are pretty good. That said, bigger drivers have less limitations so you should not only lose that strained sound but get the scale you want. If you're feeling really brave (and flush) a pair of Shahinian Diapasons takes some beating but I like big Tannoys too
Rega Planar / Teac T1 / Chromecast Audio - Teac TD1 DAC - Rotel RC850 - HHS500D or DACT passive - Mullard 5-20 Monos - Tannoy Cheviots + Wharfedale sub

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Metronomes are a simple build, mine will do orchestral stuff well, the big uns that stevetheshadow had would do it with ease. They'd do anything with ease tbh
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7