Arkless Phono Stage Comparison and Impressions.

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Arkless Phono Stage Comparison and Impressions.

Unread post by Classicrock »

This is the Arkless modified Cambridge 651P that Richard got as a trade in for NVA. He has kindly loaned this to me to assess.

The comparison was made between the Arkless modified Cambridge Audio 651P phono amp and both Musical Fidelity V90 LPS and NVA phono 2. Most of the auditioning was done against the Musical Fidelity using own brand upgraded power supply (switch mode) due to this being in same price range and the likely gulf in sound when using the Phono 2.

This was not a back to back track comparison, rather a number of tracks were played in a range of musical styles with one stage and then the other. After a brief session with the NVA the MF was auditioned. This was bought primarily to accomodate MM on a second TT so this was first time I listened to it in MC setting. The same tracks were played again with the Arkless before reverting to the NVA. Some more tracks were compared on each stage the following day to verify my earlier impressions. Note in all cases the MC setting only was compared.

System Used. Michell Orbe SE / SME 309 / AT 33EV / NVA phono2, Albarry M608 Monoblocks fed through Albarry passive and Lehmann buffer stage into Mission 752 speakers.

The MF V90 LPS phono stage surprised with a fairly expansive sound stage, a crisp extended treble and extended bass. Bass notes were tight and went fairly low. The treble was not overly bright and tiring with an initial sheen disappearing after an hour or so in use. Micro detail was well defined with percussion well portrayed. Start and stop of notes was clearly defined. No blurring of instruments. If anything the mid range was a bit light but music had width and depth coming from between and around the speakers. This is a musically engaging stage for the price. One downside is the fixed gain could have been higher so might be better suited to higher output coils than the AT. The Arkless had the same problem to a slightly less extent. However the MF is about the quietest stage I have had with little hiss even with the volume control at the required ¾ travel needed to produce a healthy output.

The Arkless/Cambridge 651P was tried with both 100 ohm and 150 ohm loading plugs (supplied) which made little to no difference, so didn't try any other values. The initial impression was of a nice punchy sound with well defined mid range. However it was apparent something was missing on all material. Though rather less hi-fi sounding than the MF, treble was obviously curtailed and while there was good mid to upper bass, low bass was absent. This gave the impression of typical 'flat earth' sound. I also found sound staging to be limited with sound coming directly from the speakers rather than spread around them. Also smearing of detail with ill defined leading edges. The result was that this stage felt unengaging and made some material sound dull. Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer sounded pretty bland and I felt there was a lack of dynamic contrast. Tendency was to homogenise music by concentrating on a punchy 'foot tapping' mid range.

Finally a return to my own main phono stage the NVA phono 2. This built on the strengths of the MF with a bigger sound, retaining a greater smoothness while portraying as much detail. Instruments sounded more real so you are let into the studio rather than listening to a hi-fi.

Results out of 10.

NVA phono 2 - 10/10
Musical Fidelity V90 LPS 7/10
Arkless Modified Cambridge 651P 5/10.

Music used:

Simon and Garfunkel, Bridge over Troubled Water and The Boxer (Classic Records).

New Symphony Orchestra (Alexander Gibson conductor),Witches Brew, Dance Macabre (Classic Records).

SuperTramp, Crime of The Century , Dreamer. (Speakers Corner).

Who, Who's Next, Baba O'Reilly ( UK first press).

Janis Ian, Breaking Silence, All Roads To The River. (Analogue Productions)

Peter Gabriel, So, Red Rain + Sledgehammer. (45 rpm reissue)

Rebeccca Pigeon, The Raven, The Witch + The Raven ( Chesky)

Vanessa Fernandez, Use Me, I Just Wanna Be With You. (Groove Note) .

John Martyn, A Solid Air ('Abbey Road' half speed master).

Faces, A Nod Is As Good As A Wink To A Blind Horse, Miss Judy's Farm (Rhino 180 gram)

Eryka Badu, Baduism, Rim Shot and On and On

Enya, Amarantine, Less Than A Pearl.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Arkless Phono Stage Comparison and Impressions.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It should be said this unit has been no where near me. I agreed to exchange it for a 2nd PSU for a German customer who bought the Arkless and wasn't happy. It was sent directly from Germany to Classicrock. I know all the excuses that will be made about me interfering with it so it will be sent directly between members of this forum who wish to try it - WITH NO AGENDA attached.

So who ever wants it next please contact Classicrock. BTW this is being done purely because Arkless refuses to put a unit out for bake-offs and comparisons.

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Having heard a NVA phono stage many years ago, I suspected 10/10 always, nice.
It can be done so imagine it.

Classicrock
Great Britain

I will state there is no Agenda here. The review is based on what I heard and nothing to do with personalities or inter forum disputes. I have not heard a standard Cambridge but I think when you mod something the basic DNA survives. This design was disappointing but of course taste comes into it. Does not produce the type of presentation I look for in hi-fi.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

If it could be with me by Saturday morning, when there are 4 of us at my place for a speaker bake off - we could slot in a comparison with my Graham Slee Revelation C...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

PM me with address. Will have to use a decent courier to guarantee arrival for Saturday. The one that previous owner used almost lost it. I could risk Parcelforce 48 hours as have not had problems with them and it would go to post office tomorrow. It is in a pretty sturdy box with plenty of bubblewrap.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

PM sent. Cheers.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Classicrock
Great Britain

The Arkless stage is now on it's way up north and should arrive tomorrow.

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Nice review Classicrock.

Hemmo1969
Ukraine

Unread post by Hemmo1969 »

savvypaul wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:36 pm If it could be with me by Saturday morning, when there are 4 of us at my place for a speaker bake off - we could slot in a comparison with my Graham Slee Revelation C...
We've probably got enough on already but I have a Cyrus Phono Signature with PSX-r2 Power supply if you fancy a listen?