Decca C4E cartridge

All general audio posts go here.
jayman67
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Decca C4E cartridge

Unread post by jayman67 »

well setting it up properly today seemed very easy,almost too easy,i left the tonearm height where it was and that seems to be right for the retip. tracking force is on 2 grams ,im not getting to anal just yet until ive put some hrs on the tip.

whats it sound like? bloody marvelous,it already showed a clean pair of heels to my 2m black and also a borrowed zyx-r100 with just a elliptical stylus,the extended fine line stylus has done exactly what i hoped for.
that is to bring the treble up in line with the bass and mid range.

this is without doubt the best cartridge i have heard to date,life like sounds,cymbals sound incredibly real,no tizz ,just real metallic sounds. the bass drum sounds like its being stamped on using my trusty copy of 'the wall' album as a reference,the soundstage is big and powerful
acoustic instruments are a joy to listen to,plucked upright bass notes and finger slides are very good,i hate to use the 'in the room' phrase so i wont lol.

i have to keep reminding myself that this is a 50yr old cartridge,how the hell does it sound so good? whats it going to be like when its bedded in? i simply just want to keep playing records,it is making me do it!!

Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I guess it's only going to get better over the next few days. The refurb looked good so pleased you're enjoying it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

2g, was that recommended? It's usually 1.5g to 1.75 - and I checked the original flyer for reference.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

no it wasn't but it sounds better to my ears with that setting.
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

jayman67

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:47 pm 2g, was that recommended? It's usually 1.5g to 1.75 - and I checked the original flyer for reference.
tracking weight is 1-2.5 grams according to decca.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Have a look on the VE site for the flyers. You have a fancy tip now too and the later models of which the C4E was the first I believe the lateral compliance was increased and the 3g downforce was very much reduced. On the face of it, 2g is recommended for the original elliptical diamond, but delve into the flyer and it states 1 - 2.5g with 1.75g recommended. Make of that what you will, but the Microscanner I have with similar moving innards and a posh profiled stylus, is specified by Garrott at 1.6g and it tracks anything I have with ease. John Wright will obviously confirm as he rebuilt the blessed thing :D
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

ok dave i will try it on 1.75 :guiness;