Computer Dongle Advice

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Computer Dongle Advice

Unread post by Classicrock »

Suggest this.

Pay as you go dongle

Of course you need a decent phone signal.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Well it is only 3G it will work fine with AAC 320 bit might struggle with lossless Tidal or Qubiz
for 4G I would suggest
this http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-bro ... 4-pdt.html

Expensive but I found EE to have a really good coverage
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

It will depend on where you go and where you want to use it. As above, it will depend on the 4G or 3G signal. Since each service provider has its own masts, they all vary. See http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/mobile-p ... verage-map.

Then, 3G and 4G are radio frequencies pushed out from multiple masts but there are still deadspots and radio shadows. If you are not in the shadow it will be fine but, in some circumstances moving a few meters means the signal degrades or completely cuts out.

It is problematic to assume that a mobile signal is always on, because over time, it really isn't (yet people on trains are still surprised when their mobile converstation stops when they go through a tunnel!)

As for the actual dongles themselves, it will depend on the quality of the wifi transmitter in them. I have no experience of these except at work where: they often don't work where people want them to work and they often quickly run out of the data allowance on them. Many are linked to a particular provider which is done purely for marketting reasons, not technical. There are 'network free' (put whatever sim card you want in them) ones out there.

Providers and pricing. Increasingly, monthly rolling plans prevail (no long contracts). For instance GiffGaff do a monthly 'GigaBag'. £5 for 500 mb prepaid for a month) but there are others out there.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

alfer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfer »

3 UK which I use for phones are a bit variable signal wise. BUT they do an excellent add-on with 1GB for £10 lasts 30 days PAYG Sim. Their mobile WiFi is contract but you may be able to get one Huawei E5330 Mobile Wi-Fi elsewhere e.g. Amazon - it is 3G though and 4G LTE.

Confused?
Last edited by alfer on Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

How many gigs would be required for a days music.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

AAC 320 is about 150 mb an hour but when mobile networks calculate they add up download and upload
so 1 gb if you listen to music is usually 900mb download and 100mb upload ( ad your device communicate both way at the same time )
so in optimal condition 1GB will give you max 6h of Radio paradise at max quallity
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Note: People talk about broadband speed - this is not an accurate of signal quality. There is bandwidth - the amount of data that can be transferred in a particular time period - and latency - the time it takes between each 'packet' of data delivered - it's latency that kills streaming. 3g with low latency will be better than 4g with high latency but no one published latency figures, only headline bandwidth figures.

Agree with Ithilstone above.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

So you buy the giggerdy giggerdy bits you want, and top up like with a phone. Soooo, who would and what would be best value. I doubt I would do it but for example a whole day at Scalford or similar as I can wander off and leave it to get on with it.

I have three stations permanently wired up for listening through my computer and I want to do that anywhere if needed. Radio Paradise, Radio Swiss Jazz, and Radio Swiss Classic, it is all I listen to now, and the quality is astonishing through my £6 dac (and £20 USB to S/PIDF converter and £30 linear PSU and £30 cable). Savvypaul heard it yesterday perhaps he will comment.

I have become a radio convert. BTW BBC is crap!!!!! apart from Radio 4 in the car, but even then I prefer the overseas service.

alfer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfer »

If it is an event they may well have WiFi. Many places do now.
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And everyone wants to use it. AND for example I took the rig to the last Uddersfield Yorky Hi-Fi Club and Dave didn't want to give me his codes for his Wi-Fi (I could come along in a car and hack him any time - £100 petrol or train fare :roll: ). Though I can understand that.

Anyway as I said in the first post it is back-up if there is no available Wi-Fi.