Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

All general audio posts go here.
57charles
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

Unread post by 57charles »

Thank you all so much for your replies - very informative and thought provoking. I didn't realise we're being ripped off by speaker companies. I'm going to have to rethink. This is the first forum that I've been on that has explained this and thanks for explaining the meaning of the forum name. I'm now surprised that trading standards haven't been involved. I still can't believe that Spendor fit that $20 tweeter in a $25,000 dollar speaker. Even pricing up the cabinet, drive units, labour costs etc etc , someone, somewhere is making an awful lot of money.
Anyway, thanks for a very informative opinion and I will continue to read this very informative forum. :epopc:

SteveS57
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveS57 »

At the Harrogate show a couple of weeks ago there where a beautiful looking pair of 21k b&o speakers on demo
My better half described them as being lifeless when they played music she knew well. I'm sure someone somewhere would be happy with them, i would say they where a rip off, but getting trading standards involved could be difficult to prove a case because it's subjective.

The drivers I use in my speakers are always chosen by their specification initially, but the quality of the output is what makes them keepers.

Ithilstone
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by Ithilstone »

Geoff.R.G wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 am By all means decide what specification you think you want but go and get involved before you part with your money.
this must be in top 3 best pieces of advice to buy anything !
Nothing to see here...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Charles, glad you are sticking around :guiness; . People here tend not to mince their words and say exactly what they think, which is a good thing.

There are no vested interests on this forum as far as I am aware, just people who like music and want their hifi to be musical at reasonable cost. Go on most of the other forums and expect to be spammed and shilled by people who try to sell you something or steer you in a particular direction for their own ends.

I have recently built myself a pair of semi Omni 3 way speakers with the help of the kind people on here. Relatively cheap doped drivers, no crossover apart from a capacitor to keep low frequency out of the tweeter :naughty: and some wood . I had to get the right box size and played around with phase and the direction the drivers were firing. It is still a prototype and still experimenting to do (Isobaric bass alignment) but the musical sounds they produce are literally blowing me away. I am so happy that I trusted the Doc and the other guys on here. No more rip off hifi for me. :dance:
DIY FREE ZONE