Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

All general audio posts go here.
57charles
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

Unread post by 57charles »

I have Spendor sp2/3r2 with Yamaha Z9 amp and Sony xa3000es CD and TEAC DT T1 DAC. Belkin pure AV speaker cable and QED signature interconnects which were originally the Signature component leads but using them for audio.Love the overall sound ( mid and top beguiling)but wanting the same but with more bass. Has anyone any experience of the new classic Spendor 1/2 or the Harbeth and Stirling models mentioned in the title of this thread compared to my Spendors?
Thanks.

IPNIGHTLY

Re: Spendor Sp2/3r2 v Spendor Classic 1/2 v Harbeth SLH5 + v Stirling LS3/6.

Unread post by IPNIGHTLY »

I think you are on the wrong forum :lol:

57charles

Thanks for the reply. An explanation as to why I'm on the wrong forum would be appreciated.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Member 'DSJR' certainly has plenty experience of Harbeths and Spendors.

There's not a lot of love here for the BBC type speakers so you may find very few others who will have heard each of those.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The reason is we spend a lot of time insulting BBC design and what they do wrong, but looking at your choices you seem to be stuck in a groove of choice, what you need to do is open your mind, there are far better musical solutions out there. You had designers way better than the arses who worked for the BBC, I can never understand why Americans would want to buy BBC type designs with the extremely good US designers and companies you have available to you.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

57charles has been reading Hoffman forum. Amazing how keen they are on British gear notably Harbeth, Audio Note and Rega.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

57charles

I've only lived in America for 2 years and brought my equipment with me from the UK. I like the midrange and top end of my speakers but as I mentioned, it would be nice to have a bit more bass - having listened to so many combinations of equipment from many manufacturers for over 40 years, I like the sound I have at the moment and as I'm the only person listening to it and I get so much enjoyment from it, then I suppose that's OK - would just like more bass. My room in the UK was smaller than I have here and I think a bigger speaker might be the answer. Dr Bunsen - appreciate your comments re American speakers. Do you know of any with the same midrange and top end of my Spendors but with more bass? Note, I don't want my fillings rattled by screeching tweeters ala Kef LS50 which I had the unfortunate experience with, back in the UK a few years ago. Price range for American speakers same as the Harbeths, spendors and Stirling mentioned in the title.
Thanks once again for you quick response.
(My previous reply seems to have disappeared so this is the replacement - original one may reappear so this could be a duplicate).

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

All I can suggest is that the OP goes and does some listening to new versions of his speakers (Classic 2/3?) and also the Harbeth equivalent (30.1 or the blinged up 30.2 version) in comparison to home grown alternatives of which I know very little. While arranging this, try to get to hear some local small scale live music such as a small-scale jazz group or similar.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jayman67

Unread post by jayman67 »

how about KLH or AR speakers?
Yamaha NS1000M speakers,Pioneer PLC-590 turntable,,Alphason HR-100S-MCS/Zeta tonearms,Denon 103sa cartridge ,Sony 700ES Amp,Sony X555ES CD Player, Nakamichi ca5 pre amp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Both dead companies now, and he seems to want new.