Naim

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Naim

Unread post by karatestu »

I can't understand why Naim insist on using din connectors, even for cdp to preamp where there is only 2 signal wires and an 0V connection. Some cables such as pre to power do carry more lines like 2 signal, 2 dc and 0V.

They are a real pain in the arse to solder. For dc i much prefer neutrik speakon. You can get some real chunky wires in those.Hardwiring at one end is best of all though. Naim owners even obsess about which make of plug is on the ac power lead.
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Company ego / hubris, they cannot now back down and admit they were wrong.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

As an ex-user and dealer since 1977, the amps were inclined to scream and blow tweeters if the connections weren't right or plugs not locked in - happened to me once and it cost me four Isobarik tweeters which cost a lot even at trade prices. I'd suggest the godawful DIN sockets were used, not for any claimed sonic differences (created by dealers mostly I suspect with a little truth-stretching help from JV), but the fact the hot and screens were connected together when plugging in, the plugs being lockable helping reliability and risk of instability. I understand a plastics firm associated with JV at the time made the XLR plugs and sockets for the 250 and 135's (and I was told the control knobs for CB era stuff onwards), but again, I couldn't understand why three-core mains cable was used as the audio connection from supply to these power amps.

The use of BNC's for the phono inputs was, I suspect, a sneaky way of trying to minimise comparisons or to make it more difficult to compare with other gear, but their use was dressed up to make it seem they 'sounded' better (I'm sure the BNC is a perfectly good rf-type connector but for audio?). This on a preamp (72/HiCap at the time) that couldn't reproduce reverb and real spatial depth to save its life - if you disagree, compare it to a 52 and tell me I'm wrong!!! - and then compare a 52/supply to a P50!!!!!! :D

Ivor T may have done sneaky things in his time, but to 'us' he was quite forthright. I think JV and Naim were rather more circumspect (if that's the word to use) and in later years until the takeover/merger/whatever, I got the impression they were almost laughing smugly at their gullible dealers while raking it in as the reputation continued to grow after JV's passing.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

karatestu wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:07 pm I can't understand why Naim insist on using din connectors, even for cdp to preamp where there is only 2 signal wires and an 0V connection. Some cables such as pre to power do carry more lines like 2 signal, 2 dc and 0V.

They are a real pain in the arse to solder. For dc i much prefer Neutrik Speakon. You can get some real chunky wires in those.Hardwiring at one end is best of all though. Naim owners even obsess about which make of plug is on the ac power lead.
DIN connectors have, in my opinion, little to recommend them except that they make cross connection impossible (assuming they are wired correctly in the first place). As far as Naim are concerned I suspect they also equate to a nice little earner as users have to buy adaptor cables to connect any other make of equipment.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm Company ego / hubris, they cannot now back down and admit they were wrong.
I think you are probably right Doc. They also refused to acknowledge the merits of digital out's on cd players for many years and then did a uturn when the market imposed the need for one and then they started making dacs. I think it is all bollocks and they will say what ever makes them the most profit.

Bloody din connectors - i cant use my recently purchased TIS cable until i have changed the din socket on the back of my naim cdp to phono. Not straight forward as it is a pcb mounted one. I will have to desolder it from the main pcb and solder some short signal wires from the pcb to phon on the back panel ( which i will have to drill to mount the phono sockets ) ahhhhhhhhh :angry-screaming:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Don't forget a review on the cables when you have experienced them.

alfer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by alfer »

Bet your CD Player doesn’t sound as good with those phonos instead of the DINs
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

How much do you want to bet.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

I've still got my pair of NAP 135s with 32.5/HiCap which i should really sell as they have been totally surpassed by my entry-level NVA amp. I'm guessing there's still a ready market for these things out there?
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

I would guess at least £2000 sitting doing nothing there Cyclecoach.