Naim

All general audio posts go here.
SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Re: Naim

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Oh and whoever the hell thought up that stupid allen bolt on the nose of the K18 ought to have been taken outside and shot.
Huge mass right where it would do the most damage, high compliance undamped cantilever, heavy metal body.
Fit this in the medium mass Akito and it was a sure fire recipe for instability, mistracking and cone flap.
But the thing was ultra rigid so that was alright then. That was all that mattered.

Utter :Bllocks: but I had no idea at the time.

The irony is that the K18 would probably have worked like a charm in an SME III :lol: :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

Late 90s, pro-ject had just started, i got a project 9c arm through moorgate acoustics (even though they werent supposed to sell them separately, they acquired one for me)
That very same fruitbox was gotten out from under the bed where it had lain for at least 10 years. The piece of crap akito was removed, the project arm was fitted, wired to a tag strip as it was bare wired with no output cable ( as it wasnt on general sale) so no fucking stupid massively stiff arm cable to dress and completely balls up the suspension.
An ortofon 540 mm cart was fitted.
And do you know what?
The bloody thing worked. Well.
Fast forward ten years and linn offered the same combo that I stumbled onto by complete accident as the basik.

The lp12 is not entirely crap, but it is entirely too much money, then and now.

It is flawed, there are ways to compensate some for the flaws. Would I buy one now? No. But it can make a reasonable noise if that is your thing
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It gives me great pleasure to despise the creature :angry-fire:

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

Alfi's sole subchasis and in sole spring replacements do a lot to improve the fruitbox i am told :grin:
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I respect that. I just wished he went whole hog and built his own, he is well capable of it.