Tonearm/Cartridge matching.

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tonearm/Cartridge matching.

Unread post by antonio66 »

I need to replace my cartridge soon and have looked at new models from Audio Technica, OC9, 33ptg and 33ev. I have read AT cartridges need a higher mass tonearm than my Rega 250 to work at their best. Does this mean I have to add mass at the headshell and if so what is the best way to do this. Another possible purchase would be a ZYX cartridge, these are very light at 5gm, again would this work in my arm. Other recommendations welcome.
This info I have read might be all bollocks from anal audiophiles but I don't understand this techie stuff. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Tonearm/Cartridge matching.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I would never buy new, too many bargains out there, and don't be afraid to experiment you can always sell on. I discovered Empire carts because I found one going cheap, it is now my #1 MM cart. DSJR has heard it as well. Not all though Empire make cheap shit for other people but the up market jobbies are very good. I have a 1000zex.

A UK made Rega 250 is about the worst arm there is for many reasons I have explained loads of times. Yet the old one it replaced the Japanese manufactured R200 is one of the best value arms available 2nd hand. It will run a MC with no problem.

antonio66

I don`t want to go to the expense of changing the tonearm, and also I would have to get one with a Rega fit. I have been using a good quality mc cart and did not want to drop too much in quality. I have asked the question on here about having my cartridge retipped.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The RB250 was discontinued many years ago now and although the new ones look similar, it's only on the surface I believe - the three screw fixing does seem to help the sonics on many of the mounting plates out there and the internals of the pipe itself have been worked on and I think it's to advantage.

One of my favourite mid-price vinyl players of old (totally annihilated a mid period LP12/Ittok) was a Spacedeck with RB300 (held by a collet rather than the usual nut) and AT F-5 at the time. Wonderfully musical and the best I ever heard an RB300. Bearing this in mind, I'd personally recommend you consider an RB303 (which genuinely does seem to be 'better,') and fit an AT-F7 to it (about the same price as the cartridge confections you've discussed.

If you really want to keep the arm and use a £500 cartridge, the Rega Ania should be added to the shortlist as there's some genuine sideways and novel thinking in the way the cantilever and coil assembly is suspended and Rega have had over ten years of making related models now to perfect this technique in production. I haven't yet heard one, but loved it's wild Apheta mk1 ancestor ;)

Just my thoughts based on experience, which may not jive with anyone elses experience or views, so take or leave as you wish.
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

When I had a Rega 250 on a Rock Reference (had to sell the latter when I was skint), admittedly over 10 years ago, the best sound I heard with it was a Sumiko Blue Point Special...a little lean but it really did play music.

I have an Ortofon 2m black with very low hours (less than 200) that I will sell for half the new price if you want to try that. Never used it in a Rega but I see that lots do...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Hint - the 2M's are Rega-shell shaped at the front and are now pictured on their site fitted to one.

I love the 2M Bronze in an RB303, which has a funky quality in the vein of the Goldring 1042 in these arms but possibly more refined (I don't mean boring here, just less possibly ragged and the 1042 can be a bit 'tinselly' sometimes in my experience). The black should be similar at the absolutely very least and the one I heard on unfamiliar music admittedly, did seem superbly well behaved and with a seamless musical quality which I liked anyway.

Google Translate is your friend here -

https://www.lowbeats.de/artikel/test/phono/
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66

Yes, but I need an MC cart to go with my Phono 2. :lol: The new Rega Ania is a possibility.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

AT OC9 and AT33 series are fine with the old Rega RB250/300 models. They will sound better on an SME but that is serious money even used. Personally would only buy new cartridges or at least one with verifiable low mileage history. The AT's work well in Technics/Hanpin clone 'S' shaped arms so are well suited to medium mass models.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Vinyl-ant
Great Britain

Unread post by Vinyl-ant »

The audio technica at-f7 is an absolute cracker. I hated at carts of old until I decided to buy one of these based on the hifi world review. The point that sealed it was that the tracking was superb. I wanted something that would track very well and it does.
They are abit thin to start with, and fill out with about 20 hours or so on them. Dont expect it to be warm like an ortofon, its not, but it is very detailed, and its not a screechy awful bag of shit like the old at-f range or the oc range.
I liked it very much until I broke it.
It worked very nicely in my modded rb251on the lenco conversion , in the mayware when that was on another lenco conversion and, in the jvc robot arm
It changed my opinion on Audio technica carts, i bought my at150 sa based on liking it.
And at 200 quid its a bargain
Analogue: oracle delphi sme 309, jbe series 3 cx unipivot dv20x2l, roksan xerxes tabriz vm750, jvc ql-y5f rigb at440, jvc ql-y3f vm750, lenco 75, technics sl150

Phono stages: cole lcr, benedict audio hothead

Digital: cyrus cd7, wiim mini x2, topping e30, jds labs el dac 2+

Amplification: nelson pass b1, nelson pass f5

Speakers: 15" fane aperiodic wardrobes

Cans: myryad z40, hifiman sundara + deva, fostex t50rp, sennheiser momentum on ear +over ear, b&w p5 and p7

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Consider the F7 while you can at the price it's at. I bet once another batch has to be made, it'll become an F7b or summat and the price will go up fifty quid :(